Proving Sin(120) = Sin(60) with Trigonometry

In summary, the range of 60 degrees = R of 30 degrees, but how would I prove that? Sin(120) needs to equal sin(60) and using trig identity, Sin(60) = cos30 + 0 = cos 30. So they'll be equal.
simphys
Homework Statement
Please refer to the picture (not really needed) so that you are able to see in what context it is meant. —> question is under the figure
Relevant Equations
R=v^2sin^2(2alpha) / g
It is about that the rznge of 60 degrees = R of 30 degrees, but how would I prove that?

Sin(120) needs to equal sin(60)
How can i prove that theyll be the same range(without air resistance?)

My take: (only looking at the sin(alpha) part as that neefs to be equal)

using trig identity
- Sin(120) = sin(90+30) = sin90cos30 + 0 = cos 30
- Sin(60) = cos30 compelemntary

So they’ll be equal.

Not really comfortable with complementary anglesso wanted to assure that this is correct. TIA!

Attachments

• 77CBD9BF-EB31-46D7-A6D5-BB7C019504C9.jpeg
    77CBD9BF-EB31-46D7-A6D5-BB7C019504C9.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
simphys said:
Not really comfortable with complementary angles so wanted to assure that this is correct
As pointed out, the expression for ##R## contains a sine, not sin^2.

Solving ##R_1 = R_2## with same ##v## and ##g## ends up with an equation ##\sin 2\alpha_1 = \sin 2\alpha_2##. Draw a plot of ##\sin 2\alpha## for ##\ [0,{\pi\over 2}]\ ## to see the relationship between ##\alpha_1## and ##\alpha_2##.

##\ ##

Lnewqban said:
I believe the relevant equation is incorrect, the way is shown in the OP.
Please, see:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-physics/chapter/projectile-motion/

I would draw those two double angles (2x30 and 2x60) and see what you can deduce at a glace regarding the value of their sines for that particular combination of launch angles (30 and 60).
Thanks for the help! and indeed, it was a typo, my apologies.
BvU said:
As pointed out, the expression for ##R## contains a sine, not sin^2.

Solving ##R_1 = R_2## with same ##v## and ##g## ends up with an equation ##\sin 2\alpha_1 = \sin 2\alpha_2##. Draw a plot of ##\sin 2\alpha## for ##\ [0,{\pi\over 2}]\ ## to see the relationship between ##\alpha_1## and ##\alpha_2##.

##\ ##
Thanks for the help as well! (and that was indeed a type my apologies)You guys said to draw, I didn't think of it at all, was solving it algebraically, thanks for the tip!

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do you prove that Sin(120) is equal to Sin(60) using trigonometry?

To prove this, we can use the trigonometric identity Sin(180-x) = Sin(x). Since Sin(120) = Sin(180-60), we can substitute 60 for x and use the identity to show that Sin(120) = Sin(60).

2. Can you explain why Sin(120) and Sin(60) are equal?

Sin(120) and Sin(60) are equal because they represent the same ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle with a 30-60-90 degree angle. This is a fundamental property of trigonometric functions.

3. What is the significance of proving Sin(120) = Sin(60)?

Proving that Sin(120) = Sin(60) is significant because it demonstrates the symmetry of trigonometric functions. It also shows that the trigonometric identities can be used to manipulate and simplify expressions involving these functions.

4. How does this proof relate to the unit circle?

The unit circle is a useful tool for understanding trigonometric functions. In this case, the proof of Sin(120) = Sin(60) can be visualized on the unit circle by drawing a 30-60-90 degree triangle and showing that the opposite sides are equal.

5. Are there other ways to prove Sin(120) = Sin(60) besides using the trigonometric identity?

Yes, there are other methods to prove this equality, such as using the Pythagorean theorem or the geometric properties of a 30-60-90 degree triangle. However, using the trigonometric identity is the most straightforward and efficient way to prove this statement.