Proving $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A)$ for Metric Spaces

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ubistvo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, to prove that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A)$ for a subset $A$ of a metric space $(X,d)$, we first define $\text{diam}(A)$ as the supremum of the distances between any two points in $A$. Then, we let $\text{diam}(\overline A)$ be the supremum of the distances between any two points in the closure of $A$, denoted by $\overline A$. To show that these two quantities are equal, we use the fact that for any sequence of points in $\overline A$, there exists a corresponding sequence in $A$ that converges to the same points,
Ubistvo
Let $A\subset X$ for $(X,d)$ metric space, then prove that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A).$
I know that $\text{diam}(A)=\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in A}d(x,y),$ but I don't see how to start the proof.

The thing I have is to let $\text{diam}(\overline A)=\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in \overline A}d(x,y),$ so for $x,y\in \overline A,$ there exists sequences $x_n$ and $y_n$ such that $x_n\to x$ and $y_n\to y,$ but I don't know if I'm on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ubistvo said:
Let $A\subset X$ for $(X,d)$ metric space, then prove that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A).$
I know that $\text{diam}(A)=\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in A}d(x,y),$ but I don't see how to start the proof.

The thing I have is to let $\text{diam}(\overline A)=\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in \overline A}d(x,y),$ so for $x,y\in \overline A,$ there exists sequences $x_n$ and $y_n$ such that $x_n\to x$ and $y_n\to y,$ but I don't know if I'm on the right track.
Yes, that is the way to start. You then need to show that $d(x_n,y_n)\to d(x,y)$. But $d(x_n,y_n)\leqslant \text{diam}(A)$ for all $n$, hence $d(x,y)\leqslant \text{diam}(A)$. That holds for all $x,y\in \overline A$, so $\text{diam}(\overline A)\leqslant \text{diam}(A)$. The reverse inequality is obvious.

Ah, so since $A\subset \overline A,$ then obviously $\text{diam}(A)\le\text{diam}(\overline A)$ and the result follows.

Thanks Opalg, you're very helpful!

Opalg said:
You then need to show that $d(x_n,y_n)\to d(x,y)$. But $d(x_n,y_n)\leqslant \text{diam}(A)$ for all $n$, hence $d(x,y)\leqslant \text{diam}(A)$.
Okay, I read this a little bit fast and I want to clarify some stuff: showing $d(x_n,y_n)\to d(x,y)$ follows because $d(x,y)$ is continuous, hence the result follows right? Now since $d(x_n,y_n)\leqslant \text{diam}(A)$ for all $n,$ as $n\to\infty$ we have $d(x,y)\le \text{diam}(A),$ and the rest follows.

Is that how you did it?

I would approach this problem by first defining the concept of diameter for a metric space. In a metric space, the diameter of a set $A$ is defined as the supremum of the distance between any two points in $A$. This means that $\text{diam}(A)=\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in A}d(x,y)$.

Next, I would define the closure of a set $A$ in a metric space as the set of all limit points of $A$. In other words, $\overline A$ is the set of all points that can be approached arbitrarily closely by points in $A$.

Now, to prove that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A)$, we need to show that for any two points $x,y\in A$, the distance between them is the same as the distance between their limit points in $\overline A$. In other words, we need to show that $\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in A}d(x,y)=\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in \overline A}d(x,y)$.

To do this, we can use the fact that for any two points $x,y\in A$, there exists sequences $x_n$ and $y_n$ in $A$ such that $x_n\to x$ and $y_n\to y$. This means that the distance between $x$ and $y$ can be approximated by the distance between $x_n$ and $y_n$ for large enough $n$. Since $x_n$ and $y_n$ are in $A$, we have $\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in A}d(x,y)\geq\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in \overline A}d(x,y)$.

On the other hand, since $x_n$ and $y_n$ are in $\overline A$, we also have $\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in \overline A}d(x,y)\geq\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in A}d(x,y)$. This is because the limit points in $\overline A$ are closer to each other than the points in $A$.

Combining these two inequalities, we get $\displaystyle\sup_{x,y\in A}d(x,y)=\

What is the definition of $\text{diam}(A)$ for a metric space?

The diameter of a set $A$ in a metric space is the largest distance between any two points in $A$. It can also be defined as the supremum of the distances between all pairs of points in $A$.

Why is it important to prove that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A)$ for metric spaces?

Proving that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A)$ is important because it shows that the closure of a set in a metric space preserves the diameter of the set. This is a fundamental property of metric spaces and is useful in many mathematical proofs and applications.

What is the closure of a set in a metric space?

The closure of a set $A$ in a metric space is the smallest closed set that contains all the points in $A$. In other words, it is the set of all points that are either in $A$ or are limit points of $A$.

Can you provide an example of a metric space where $\text{diam}(A)\neq\text{diam}(\overline A)$?

Yes, consider the set $A=(0,1)$ in the metric space $\mathbb{R}$ with the standard Euclidean metric. The closure of $A$ is $\overline A=[0,1]$, but $\text{diam}(A)=1$ and $\text{diam}(\overline A)=1$.

How do you prove that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A)$ for metric spaces?

To prove that $\text{diam}(A)=\text{diam}(\overline A)$, we need to show that the diameter of $A$ and the diameter of $\overline A$ are equal. This can be done by showing that any two points in $A$ can be connected by a path in $\overline A$ with the same length. This is typically done using the definition of the closure and properties of metric spaces.