Proving that a subgroup is normal

In summary: Yes, and therefore we have ##G=A \cup gA=A \cup Ag## at the same time and on the level of sets. But this can only be if ##gA=Ag## which means ##A## is normal.
kent davidge
In this PDF, http://www.math.unl.edu/~bharbourne1/M417Spr04/M417Exam2Solns.pdf,

in answering why a subgroup of index 2 is normal, the author says that the only two cosets must be ##A## and ##gA##. Why so? Why there can't be another element ##g'## such that ##G = g' A + g A##?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
In this PDF, http://www.math.unl.edu/~bharbourne1/M417Spr04/M417Exam2Solns.pdf,

in answering why a subgroup of index 2 is normal, the author says that the only two cosets must be ##A## and ##gA##. Why so? Why there can't be another element ##g'## such that ##G = g' A + g A##?
How do you define index? I thought it was the number of cosets.

Likes mathwonk
why is this in topology and analysis?

mathwonk said:
why is this in topology and analysis?
Thanks. Moved.

WWGD said:
How do you define index? I thought it was the number of cosets.
According to my book, it is indeed the number of cosets which defines the index.

kent davidge said:
According to my book, it is indeed the number of cosets which defines the index.
Yes, and in which coset is the neutral element ##e \in G\,##?

Likes kent davidge
fresh_42 said:
Yes, and in which coset is the neutral element ##e \in G\,##?
ohh you made me realize now what the thing is.

One coset must be ##A## because the neutral ##e## should be in ##G##, and it is in ##A##, because ##A## is a subgroup, (not in ##gA##, because ##gA = (g e, ga_1, ...) = (g, ga_1, ...)##). So one coset being ##A##, the only other possible coset is ##gA## so that the index 2 condition is satisfied.

kent davidge said:
ohh you made me realize now what the thing is.

One coset must be ##A## because the neutral ##e## should be in ##G##, and it is in ##A##, because ##A## is a subgroup, (not in ##gA##, because ##gA = (g e, ga_1, ...) = (g, ga_1, ...)##). So one coset being ##A##, the only other possible coset is ##gA## so that the index 2 condition is satisfied.
Yes, and therefore we have ##G=A \cup gA=A \cup Ag## at the same time and on the level of sets. But this can only be if ##gA=Ag## which means ##A## is normal.

Likes kent davidge

1. What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that satisfies the same group properties as the original group. It is a smaller group within a larger group.

2. What does it mean for a subgroup to be normal?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that any element of the larger group that is conjugate to an element of the normal subgroup will also be part of the normal subgroup.

3. How can you prove that a subgroup is normal?

There are several ways to prove that a subgroup is normal. One way is to show that the left and right cosets of the subgroup are equal, meaning that the subgroup is invariant under both left and right multiplication by elements of the larger group. Another way is to show that the subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism from the larger group to another group.

4. Why is it important to prove that a subgroup is normal?

Proving that a subgroup is normal is important because it allows us to use properties of normal subgroups to simplify the structure and analysis of a group. It also helps us to classify groups into different types and understand their relationships.

5. Are all subgroups normal?

No, not all subgroups are normal. Only a specific type of subgroup, called a normal subgroup, satisfies the conditions of being invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. However, every group has at least two normal subgroups: the trivial subgroup {e} and the group itself.