Proving that a subset of a countable set is countable

• MHB
  • Thread starter Mathmellow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the goal is to prove that any subset of a countable set is either finite or countable by showing that any infinite subset of \Bbb{N} is in bijection with \Bbb{N}. This can be done by defining a bijection between the infinite subset and \Bbb{N} using a map that assigns the $i$-th smallest element of the subset to the $i$-th natural number. Assistance may be needed to complete this proof.
Mathmellow
I am trying to prove that any subset of a countable set is either finite or countable.

I know that a set \(\displaystyle S\) is countable if there exists a bijection that takes S to \(\displaystyle \Bbb{N}\). My first thought was to consider the subset \(\displaystyle V\) of \(\displaystyle S\). If \(\displaystyle V\) is finite we are done, since we can always construct a finite subset of a countably infinite set.
So I guess in the case where \(\displaystyle V\) is infinite we want to prove that there is a bijection \(\displaystyle \beta: V\to\Bbb{N}\). However, I am not sure how to do this.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this, so I can feel more comfortable with these types of problems in the future!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathmellow said:
I am trying to prove that any subset of a countable set is either finite or countable.

I know that a set \(\displaystyle S\) is countable if there exists a bijection that takes S to \(\displaystyle \Bbb{N}\). My first thought was to consider the subset \(\displaystyle V\) of \(\displaystyle S\). If \(\displaystyle V\) is finite we are done, since we can always construct a finite subset of a countably infinite set.
So I guess in the case where \(\displaystyle V\) is infinite we want to prove that there is a bijection \(\displaystyle \beta: V\to\Bbb{N}\). However, I am not sure how to do this.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this, so I can feel more comfortable with these types of problems in the future!

One just has to show that any infinite subset of $\mathbb N$ is in bijection with $\mathbb N$.

Let $A\subseteq \mathbb N$ be infinite. Define a map $f:\mathbb N\to A$ by declaring $f(i)$ to be the $i$-th smallest element of $A$. Then $f$ is a bijection.

1. How do you prove that a subset of a countable set is countable?

To prove that a subset of a countable set is countable, we can use the definition of countability which states that a set is countable if it has the same cardinality as the set of natural numbers. Therefore, we need to show that there exists a one-to-one correspondence (bijection) between the subset and the set of natural numbers.

2. Can a subset of a countable set be uncountable?

No, a subset of a countable set cannot be uncountable. This is because a subset is, by definition, a part of a larger set. If the larger set is countable, then all of its subsets must also be countable.

3. Is every subset of a countable set infinite?

No, not every subset of a countable set is infinite. A subset can be finite if it only contains a finite number of elements. However, if the larger set is infinite, then the subset must also be infinite.

4. What is an example of a countable subset of an uncountable set?

An example of a countable subset of an uncountable set is the set of even numbers within the set of real numbers. While the set of real numbers is uncountable, the set of even numbers is countable as it has a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

5. Can a subset of a countable set have the same cardinality as the original set?

Yes, a subset of a countable set can have the same cardinality as the original set. This is because the subset can be equal in size to the original set, meaning there is a one-to-one correspondence between the two sets. However, this is not always the case, as some subsets may have a smaller cardinality than the original set.