Proving that Every Closed Set in Separable Metric Space is Union of Perfect and Countable Set

In summary, the goal is to prove that every closed set in a separable metric space can be represented as the union of a perfect set and a countable set. This can be done by using the fact that every separable metric space has a countable base and considering the points in the closed set that have neighborhoods with uncountably many points in the set.
Rasalhague

Homework Statement

Prove that every closed set in a separable metric space is the union of a (possibly empty) perfect set and a set which is at most countable. (Rudin: Principles of Mathematical Analysis, 2nd ed.)

Homework Equations

Every separable metric space has a countable base.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let F be closed. Using the above fact, I've shown that the isolated points of F are at most countable, likewise their closure. I'm trying to construct a perfect set by removing non-limit points of F' points from F', the set of limit points of F, but it's not quite falling into place yet. Is this a good direction to go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful, that is a countable _local_ base, not a countable global base, i.e., every metric space is 1st-countable, but not necessarily 2nd-countable.
EDIT: Sorry, I did not read carefully: the hypothesis of separable implies 2nd countable.

WWGD said:
Careful, that is a countable _local_ base, not a countable global base, i.e., every metric space is 1st-countable, but not necessarily 2nd-countable.

It's a countable global base since the space is separable.

Yes, thanks, I just corrected it as you were writing; I did not read carefully-enough.

Hint: consider the points ##x\in F## for which every neighborhood of ##x## meets ##F## in uncountably many points.

Got it, thanks!

1. What is a separable metric space?

A separable metric space is a mathematical concept used in topology to describe a space that has a countable dense subset. This means that there exists a subset of points in the space that are close together and can be used to approximate any point in the space.

2. What is a closed set?

A closed set is a subset of a metric space that includes all its limit points. This means that every sequence of points in the space that converges to a point in the set is contained within the set.

3. What is a perfect set?

A perfect set is a subset of a metric space that is closed and has no isolated points. This means that every point in the set is a limit point and there are no points that are isolated from the other points in the set.

4. How do you prove that every closed set in a separable metric space is a union of perfect and countable sets?

The proof involves constructing a countable set of points that are dense in the closed set, and then using these points to construct a perfect set within the closed set. This can be done by taking the limit points of the countable set and removing any isolated points. Any remaining points will form a perfect set within the closed set.

5. Why is this theorem important?

This theorem is important because it helps us to better understand the structure of closed sets in separable metric spaces. It also has applications in various fields such as topology, functional analysis, and measure theory. Additionally, it provides a useful tool for proving other theorems and properties in mathematics.