Proving the Angle Relationship in Complex Vector Multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from Vibrations and Waves by A.P. French Chapter 1 regarding a vector z defined by Z=Z1Z2, where Z1=a+jb, Z2=c+jd. The first part involves showing that the length of z is the product of the lengths of Z1 and Z2, while the second part involves showing that the angle between z and the x-axis is the sum of the angles made by Z1 and Z2. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem using trigonometry and Euler's formula, ultimately leading to a solution in polar form.
nucleawasta

Homework Statement

Question from Vibrations and Waves by A.P. French Chapter 1

Consider a vector z defined by Z=Z1Z2, where Z1=a+jb, Z2=c+jd.

a)Show that the length of the of z is the product of the lengths of Z1 and Z2.

b)Show that the angle between z and the x-axis is the sum of of the angles made by Z1 and Z2

Homework Equations

tan(θ1)=b/a
tan(θ2)=d/c
|Z1|=Z1
|Z2|=Z2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first part I didn't have any trouble with, it was fairly straight forward showing that the length of Z1*Z2 was equal to the length of Z. But when I moved to part B I ran into a problem. Here's what I tried.

I Knew θ1=b/a and θ2=d/c by a first order taylor expansion of the tangents of these angles and since I am told the angle of Z, θZ is the sum of these two. I must prove:

θZ=(cb+da)/ca

However when I write out the form of Z=Z1Z2 I get:

Z=ac-bd +j(ad+bc). Now since I know the tan(θZ)=imaginary/real

I get tan(θZ)=(ad+bc)/(ac-bd).

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'd really appreciate a hand! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't want to make any small angle approximation since you want to prove it for arbitrary angles.
nucleawasta said:
tan(θZ)=(ad+bc)/(ac-bd).
Try finding a trig identity involving the tangent function that you can relate to your expression for tan(θZ).

Have you been introduced to Euler's formula yet or are you required to solve it in cartesian form?

I mean I'm actually a senior physics major :P(slightly embarrassing I couldn't solve this) I've seen Euler's identity and it is introduced in the chapter, so I suppose that could be a viable way to solve the problem.

TSny said:
You don't want to make any small angle approximation since you want to prove it for arbitrary angles.

Try finding a trig identity involving the tangent function that you can relate to your expression for tan(θZ).

Many thanks,

Using the relation tan(θ12)=(tan(θ1)+tan(θ2))/1-tan(θ1)*tan(θ2)

I was able to use trigonometry(SOHCAHTOA as i learned it way back when) to plug in for the tan(θ1) and tan(θ2) which ultimately leads to the solution I was trying to prove from my first post.

:smile:

A lot easier to solve in polar form :)

1. What is a complex vector?

A complex vector is a mathematical object that consists of a set of complex numbers, arranged in a specific order. It is often represented as a column or row vector and is used to represent quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. How is a complex vector different from a regular vector?

A regular vector only consists of real numbers, while a complex vector contains both real and imaginary numbers. This allows complex vectors to represent more complex quantities and operations, such as electrical currents and quantum states.

3. What are some common operations performed on complex vectors?

Some common operations on complex vectors include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, and dot product. These operations follow similar rules as regular vectors, but take into account the complex numbers in the vector.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of a complex vector?

A complex vector can be interpreted as a point in a complex plane, with the real part representing the x-coordinate and the imaginary part representing the y-coordinate. The magnitude of the complex vector represents its distance from the origin, and the direction represents the angle it makes with the positive real axis.

5. How are complex vectors used in science and engineering?

Complex vectors are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, electrical engineering, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in analyzing and understanding systems with both real and imaginary components, such as electric circuits and quantum systems.