Proving the associative property of vector addition

In summary, the associative property of vector addition states that the order in which vectors are added does not affect the result. This can be demonstrated by adding three vectors in Cartesian form, where (u+v)+w is equal to u+(v+w). However, it is important to properly represent the vectors with the arrow notation to avoid errors in calculation.
Specter

Homework Statement

Give an example of the associative property of vector addition using vectors in Cartesion form.

Homework Equations

(u+v)+w=u+(v+w)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to get the arrow on top of my work so I wrote it without it.

I'm somewhat confused on why I am not getting the same answer for both like I should be. Did I make some stupid mistake in my work that I can't see, or does it have something to do with the coordinates that I chose to use?

u=(2,1), v=(3,2), w=(-2,1)

(u+v)+w=(2+3,1+3)+(-2,1)
=(5,4)+(-2,1)
=(5-2,4+1)
=(3,5)

u+(v+w)=(2,1)+(3-2,2+1)
=(2,1)+(1,3)
=(2+1,1+3)
=(3,4)

Physics news on Phys.org
Specter said:
u=(2,1), v=(3,2), w=(-2,1)

(u+v)+w=(2+3,1+3)+(-2,1)

That was not too hard to spot!

Likes Specter
PeroK said:
That was not too hard to spot!
Damn... I checked so many times too. Thank you!

Specter said:
I can't figure out how to get the arrow on top of my work so I wrote it without it.

Use \vec. It's explained in the LaTeX primer page, https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

##\vec u## will produce ##\vec u##.

Last edited:

1. What is the associative property of vector addition?

The associative property of vector addition states that the grouping of vectors being added together does not affect the result. In other words, it does not matter in what order the vectors are added, the sum will remain the same.

2. Why is it important to prove the associative property of vector addition?

Proving the associative property of vector addition is important because it is a fundamental property in vector mathematics. It allows for the simplification of complex vector equations and ensures that the results are consistent and accurate.

3. How can the associative property of vector addition be proven?

The associative property of vector addition can be proven using mathematical equations and principles, such as the commutative property and distributive property. It can also be proven through geometric proofs, using the properties of vectors and their components.

4. Can the associative property of vector addition be applied to any number of vectors?

Yes, the associative property of vector addition can be applied to any number of vectors. This is because the property states that the grouping of vectors being added together does not affect the result, regardless of the number of vectors being added.

5. How does the associative property of vector addition differ from the commutative property?

The commutative property states that the order of the vectors being added does not affect the result, whereas the associative property states that the grouping of vectors being added does not affect the result. In other words, the commutative property deals with the order of addition, while the associative property deals with the grouping of addition.