Proving the Limit of a Sum using Sequence Convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the limit of the sum of two sequences is equal to the sum of their limits. It is suggested to create a new sequence cn and take its limit, which equals L. It is then shown that the relationship between the elements of cn and L can be proven by assuming L = L1 + L2 and using the given relationship between an and L1, as well as between bn and L2. It is also mentioned that the epsilon-N definition and the triangle inequality can be used to prove this relationship.
marlen
Hello,

Can someone please help me prove that

the lim as n goes to infinity of (the sequence an + the sequence bn) = (the lim of an) + (the lim of bn).

What I think is that if one adds the two limits an + bn, she will come up with a new sequence cn and take its limit, which equals L. Then if she takes the limit of an and set it equal to L1 and take the limit of bn and set it equal to L2...

After this I don't know. I don't even know if this makes sense. Someone please help me!

I hope all of this makes sense. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Since cn ---> L, there must be a relationship between the elements of cn and the number L. State that relationship.

2. Now you need to show that the relationship stated in "1" indeed holds. To show this:

a. assume L = L1 + L2

b. use the given fact that the relationship stated in "1" holds between an and L1, as well as between bn and L2, to show that when L = L1 + L2, the relationship in "1" holds between cn and L.

you could use the epsilon-N definition to show it too. it's a pretty straightforward application of the triangle inequality.

You will also want to use [itex]|a+ b|\le |a|+ |b|[/itex].

1. What is "Math Beauty and Her Limits"?

"Math Beauty and Her Limits" is a concept that explores the aesthetic qualities and limitations of mathematics. It examines the beauty and elegance of mathematical concepts and their boundaries.

2. Why is it important to study the limits of math beauty?

Understanding the limits of math beauty can help us appreciate the complexities and intricacies of mathematics. It also allows us to better understand the limitations of our own perception and the limitations of mathematics itself.

3. Can math beauty be subjective?

Yes, to some extent, math beauty can be subjective. While some mathematical concepts may seem elegant and beautiful to one person, it may not be the case for another. However, there are also objective measures of beauty, such as symmetry and simplicity, that can be applied to mathematical concepts.

4. Are there any examples of math beauty and its limits?

One example is the concept of infinity. While the idea of an infinite set may seem beautiful and intriguing, it also has its limits, as some infinities are larger than others. Another example is the golden ratio, which is often considered the most aesthetically pleasing ratio, but it also has its limitations in real-world applications.

5. How can understanding math beauty and its limits benefit other fields of study?

Studying math beauty and its limits can help us develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, which can then be applied to other fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering. It can also inspire creativity and innovation in problem-solving and critical thinking.