Proving Trigonometric Identities: cos(3x) & (cos(3x)-cos(7x))/sin(7x)+sin(3x)

In summary: It's called the Simpson formula's and you can find them in a lot of places, like the wikipedia page linked to.
madmike159
Gold Member

Homework Statement

prove that, (cos(3x) - cos (7x)) / (sin(7x) + sin(3x)) = tan(2x)

prove that, cos(3x) = 4cos^3(x) - 3cos(x)

Homework Equations

tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x) must come into the first one

The Attempt at a Solution

tried seperating the fraction so there is only one cos term on top, but I don't know how to deal with the sin terms on the bottom.

I haven't got a clue for the second one

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the sum-to product formula's?? (aka the Simpson formula's)

No I'm looking for them now, do you know that they work for these questions?

I still can't seem to get them right. My problem is not so much doing it, just working out which formula to use.

I'm still stuck on these. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Use the wiki page linked to above, especially this section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#Product-to-sum_and_sum-to-product_identities

[itex] \cos 3x - \cos 7x [/itex] can be reduced to a product of sines. Likewise the sum of sines in the denominator.

As for the other identity

[tex] \cos 3x = \cos (2x +x) = \left(\substack{\underbrace{\cos^2 x -\sin^2 x}\\ \cos 2x}\right) \cos x - \left(\substack{\underbrace{2\sin x \cos x}\\ \sin 2x}\right) \sin x = ... [/tex]

The final result follows easily.

Last edited:
I did the first one, but I'm still suck on the second one.

I ended up with cos(3x) = cos^3(x) - 3sin^2(x)cos(x), which is getting there, but I'm not sure what to do next

Try to change the sine into a cosine somehow... There's a really important formula which allow you to do that...

What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations involving trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) that are true for all values of the variables involved.

What is the purpose of proving trigonometric identities?

The purpose of proving trigonometric identities is to show that two expressions involving trigonometric functions are equivalent. This can help simplify complex expressions and solve trigonometric equations.

What is the process for proving a trigonometric identity?

The process for proving a trigonometric identity involves using known identities and algebraic manipulation to transform one expression into the other. This often involves using properties of trigonometric functions, such as the Pythagorean identities.

How do you prove the identity cos(3x) = (cos(3x)-cos(7x))/sin(7x)+sin(3x)?

To prove this identity, we can use the double angle formula for cosine, which states that cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin^2(x). We can apply this formula twice to the left side of the identity to get cos(3x) = 1 - 2sin^2(2x) = 1 - 2(1-cos(4x))/2 = cos(4x) - 1. Then, using the sum and difference identities for cosine, we can rewrite the right side as (cos(3x)-cos(7x))/sin(7x)+sin(3x) = (cos(4x)cos(3x)+sin(4x)sin(3x) - cos(7x))/sin(7x)+sin(3x) = cos(4x) - cos(7x)/sin(7x)+sin(3x). Since cos(4x) = cos(7x) and sin(3x) = sin(7x), the right side simplifies to cos(4x) - 1, which is equal to the left side.

Why is proving trigonometric identities important in science?

Proving trigonometric identities is important in science because many phenomena can be described using trigonometric functions and equations. By proving identities, scientists can verify the accuracy of their mathematical models and make more accurate predictions about the behavior of these phenomena.