Proving {x} is a closed set in a metric space

In summary: Ah yes, actually on the proof on the exam I showed clearly that {x} had no limit points--I just glossed over it here since it seemed like it would not be a possible point of contention in the proof. We were also able to freely use theorems covered in Rudin, so the rest should be fine.Thanks again!
gajohnson
Hi everyone, I posted this a couple days ago and didn't get a response, so I thought I'd try again. Let me know if something about this is confusing. Thanks!

Homework Statement

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a metric space and let [itex]x\in{X}[/itex] be any point. Prove that the set [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex] is closed in [itex]X[/itex]

Homework Equations

I am defining [itex]\left\{x\right\}'[/itex] as the set of all limit points of [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I realize I can prove this by showing that the complement is open (simple). However, I have a question about the validity of an alternative approach:

It is clear that [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex] has no limit points, thus [itex]\left\{x\right\}' = [/itex]empty set. Now, the empty set is a subset of every set, thus [itex]\left\{x\right\}'\subset{\left\{x\right\}}[/itex] and so [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex] contains all of its limit points. Then [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex] is closed.

Thoughts? Does this work? If not, what am I missing? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
gajohnson said:
Ok, so I realize I can prove this by showing that the complement is open (simple). However, I have a question about the validity of an alternative approach:

It is clear that [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex] has no limit points, thus [itex]\left\{x\right\}' = [/itex]empty set. Now, the empty set is a subset of every set, thus [itex]\left\{x\right\}'\subset{\left\{x\right\}}[/itex] and so [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex] contains all of its limit points. Then [itex]\left\{x\right\}[/itex] is closed.

Thoughts? Does this work? If not, what am I missing? Thanks!
Yes, this proof is fine.

jbunniii said:
Yes, this proof is fine.

Ok, thanks for validation. I had used this proof on an exam and it was marked almost entirely wrong, which was confusing to me. I'll question the professor about it. Thanks again!

gajohnson said:
Ok, thanks for validation. I had used this proof on an exam and it was marked almost entirely wrong, which was confusing to me. I'll question the professor about it. Thanks again!
The proof is correct, but perhaps he wanted more detail. Definitely check with him - only he can tell you what the problem is.

Maybe he didn't like the key statement: "it is clear that {x} has no limit points" - it's clear to me, but perhaps he wanted more detail to be sure why it was clear to you.

Also, if a closed set is defined as the complement of an open set, then it's a theorem (perhaps requiring proof on an exam) that this is equivalent in a metric space to "the set contains all of its limit points."

jbunniii said:
The proof is correct, but perhaps he wanted more detail. Definitely check with him - only he can tell you what the problem is.

Maybe he didn't like the key statement: "it is clear that {x} has no limit points" - it's clear to me, but perhaps he wanted more detail to be sure why it was clear to you.

Also, if a closed set is defined as the complement of an open set, then it's a theorem (perhaps requiring proof on an exam) that this is equivalent in a metric space to "the set contains all of its limit points."

Ah yes, actually on the proof on the exam I showed clearly that {x} had no limit points--I just glossed over it here since it seemed like it would not be a possible point of contention in the proof. We were also able to freely use theorems covered in Rudin, so the rest should be fine.

Thanks again!

Related to Proving {x} is a closed set in a metric space

1. What is a closed set in a metric space?

A closed set in a metric space is a set of points where all the limits of convergent sequences within the set also belong to the set. In other words, a closed set contains all of its limit points.

2. How do you prove that a set is closed in a metric space?

To prove that a set is closed in a metric space, you must show that all of its limit points are contained within the set. This can be done by showing that any convergent sequence within the set has its limit also within the set.

3. Why is it important to prove that a set is closed in a metric space?

Proving that a set is closed in a metric space is important because it guarantees that the set is complete. This means that all of the possible points within the set can be reached and there are no missing points. It also allows for easier analysis and calculations within the set.

4. What are some common methods for proving that a set is closed in a metric space?

Some common methods for proving that a set is closed in a metric space include using the definition of a closed set, using the limit point definition, using the sequential closure definition, and using the closure definition.

5. Can a set be both open and closed in a metric space?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed in a metric space. This type of set is known as a clopen set. An example of a clopen set is the empty set or the entire metric space itself.