PS4 horizontal on or elevated from wood

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of elevating a PS4 console on a wooden surface and whether a metal surface would be more effective in reducing heat. It is suggested that elevating the console allows for better air flow, but the wood may serve as an insulator once it warms up. Additionally, a metal heatsink is mentioned as a more effective way of transferring heat to surrounding air compared to wood.
micdhack
I don't have a heat meter to test this so I just want to ask from a physics perspective what is more likely to be more effective.

I noticed that my PS4 gets quite hot. I have it horizontal on a wooden surface. Ideally on top of a metal surface probably it would have been better since heat conductivity for metals is better but I've noticed in many forums people elevating the console in order to reduce heat (putting rubber stickers on the edges).

If you elevate the console, you get a flow of air underneath since the warmer air will start moving up and off the edges of the console while cooler air will fill in the gaps. However, air is a worse heat conductor from wood. Sure, the wood does get hot around the area of conduct and it does not diffuse that heat as effectively to the rest of its body but isn't better than just air?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi micdhack. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Initially, while the wood is cold it probably is good for taking away heat. But once it warms up, where is the heat to go to? Wood is not a good conductor of heat, so it then serves to block the escape of heat, like an insulator. Whereas at least air keeps moving, so the warmed air is continuously replaced by cooler air and the cooling process can go on endlessly. Not so with the timber barrier.

The metal heatsink, too, must shed heat somehow, usually it just acts as a large surface transferring the heat to surrounding air. Being a good conductor of heat, this works effectively. Not so good with timber.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the benefits of placing a PS4 horizontally on a wood surface?

Placing a PS4 horizontally on a wood surface can help with ventilation, as the wood can act as a natural insulator and prevent the console from overheating. It can also protect the console from dust and scratches, as the wood can act as a barrier between the console and the surface it is placed on.

Is it safe to elevate a PS4 from a wood surface?

Yes, elevating a PS4 from a wood surface can actually be beneficial. Elevating the console can improve airflow and prevent overheating. It can also help with cable management and keep the console from getting tangled with other cords on the surface.

What materials are best for elevating a PS4 from a wood surface?

Materials such as plastic, rubber, or metal can work well for elevating a PS4 from a wood surface. These materials can provide a stable base for the console while also preventing scratches or damage to the wood surface.

Are there any risks to placing a PS4 on a wood surface?

Placing a PS4 on a wood surface can potentially cause the console to overheat if there is not enough airflow. It can also increase the risk of static electricity build-up, which can damage the console's internal components. It is important to ensure proper ventilation and use a stable base when placing a PS4 on a wood surface.

Can placing a PS4 horizontally on a wood surface affect its performance?

No, placing a PS4 horizontally on a wood surface should not affect its performance. However, it is important to make sure that the console is not placed on a surface that is too hot or prone to static electricity, as these factors can impact the console's performance and potentially damage it in the long run.