Is Your PSP at Risk of the PSPBrick Virus?

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary, there has been a new virus for Sony's Playstation Portable (PSP) called "PSPbrick" that deletes critical files and prevents the device from restarting. This has caused concern as the PSP is a $250 machine. The virus is likely obtained through downloading from unofficial sites or using a downgrader to install unofficial software. It is recommended to only download from the official Sony site to avoid this virus.
QuantumTheory
Well I just did a search and didn't see any threads about this, but it is rather big news. It even went on the news on TV, although I didn't see it.

There has been the first virus for the PSP (Playstation portable game system) by sony. It is called PSPbrick. It deletes the critical files for the PSP to restart. When you turn it on, a message comes up and you cannot turn your PSP back on

It is a 250 dollar machine, so this is a big deal.

I'm not exactly sure how you get the virus. However, downloading from any site other than sony you have a large likelyhood of getting it. It is caused by one of these:

1) A 2.0 verison of the PSP update, but it has the virus in it
2) A downgrader for the PSP, to downgrade your verison to a lower one so people can put 'homebrew' on their PSP which is sony is agianst. And has made updates so people can't do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boring news. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's not boring pengwuino. :devil:

I had heard about this the other day, but hadn't paid too much attention.

Good warning for those susceptible. thanks QuantumTheory.

Evo said:
It's not boring pengwuino. :devil:
I had heard about this the other day, but hadn't paid too much attention.
Good warning for those susceptible. thanks QuantumTheory.

no problem. ONLY DOWNLOAD fromt he offical sony site and you should be fine. P2P networks are the root cause

What is PSPBRICK and how does it affect my PSP?

PSPBRICK is a type of virus that targets PSP (PlayStation Portable) devices. Once infected, it can cause your PSP to freeze, crash, or even become permanently damaged.

How does PSPBRICK spread?

PSPBRICK can spread through various means, such as downloading infected files or connecting to a compromised network. It can also spread through physical transfer of infected memory cards or using an infected PSP to transfer data to other devices.

Can I prevent my PSP from getting infected with PSPBRICK?

Yes, you can prevent PSPBRICK infection by being cautious of the files you download and the networks you connect to. It is also recommended to regularly update your PSP's software and use antivirus software specifically designed for PSP devices.

What should I do if my PSP is infected with PSPBRICK?

If you suspect that your PSP is infected with PSPBRICK, immediately disconnect it from any network and remove any infected memory cards. You should then run a full antivirus scan and follow the recommended steps to remove the virus. If the damage is already done, you may need to seek professional repair services.

Can PSPBRICK be removed from my PSP?

Yes, PSPBRICK can be removed from your PSP through proper antivirus software. However, if the virus has caused permanent damage to your PSP, it may not be possible to fully remove it. In such cases, it is best to seek professional repair services.