PSPICE simulation with Schematic of Waveform Selector

In summary: However, in summary, you are trying to use a SPICE schematic to calculate the theoretical values for a circuit before doing a lab session. You are unsure of which switch, transistor, and input signal to use. You also omitted the transistor because you didn't know which one to use. You are trying to measure the output at the switch using a time scale of seconds. However, you have renamed R8 and R2 to be R1 and R2 and there is no wire connecting their junction.
anandan111

Homework Statement

Hi in response to my previous thread (principles behind the waveform selector circuit), I would now like to run a SPICE simulation using the PSPICE schematics software to obtain the theoretical values before entering my lab session. I have uploaded the schematic for your reference.

Homework Equations

Right now I have constructed the circuit in the program but I am unsure of which switch, transistor (BC548) and input signal to put in.

Also if I want a square wave input, which settings do I need to configure?

Assuming then the circuit is constructed perfectly, how am I going to observe the output at the switch?

The Attempt at a Solution

Kindly see attached for the circuit which I have constructed in PSPICE. I have left out the switch and the transistor. For the input signal I used a VSRC 5V power supply.

Attachments

• schematics.jpg
    schematics.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 632
  • waveform selector schematic.png
    waveform selector schematic.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 826
Physics news on Phys.org
You're inputing just dc supplies? How do you expect to get any waveforms? And why did you omit the transistor?

rude man said:
You're inputing just dc supplies? How do you expect to get any waveforms? And why did you omit the transistor?

Well okay I did some research yesterday and found out that if I need a square wave generator I need to use VPULSE. Okay so I used that and instead of constructing the whole circuit, I constructed the circuit based on which switch I press on.

I omitted the transistor because I didn't know which transistor to use.

Please tell me if what I am doing now is correct.
(please see attached for circuit setup and output waveform)

Also can anyone tell me why when I input a 2V square wave pulse, the voltage that appears across the 4.7k Ω resistor is still 2V when it should have been 1.649V.

Thanks!

Attachments

• switch 1.png
    switch 1.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 691
  • output waveform 1.jpg
    output waveform 1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Instead of the switch, just record the waveforms at the nodes in the circuit that the switch would connect to. If you don't have the SPICE data for the BC548 than use any other small signal NPN transistor with a similar beta.

You seem to have a time scale on your recording of seconds. It should be related to the period of the squarewave, to show just 2 or 3 complete cycles.

R8 and R2 form nothing more than a potential divider. You renamed R8 to be R1? And you have accidently shorted it out! No wire connects to their junction.

It would have been better to have this as a continuation of your earlier thread.

Sadly, I can't help with SPICE details, I've forgotten too much.

Last edited:

Great job on constructing the circuit in PSPICE! In order to run a simulation, you will need to specify the type of switch and transistor you are using, as well as the input signal. For the switch, you can use a SPST switch and for the transistor, you can use a BC548. For the input signal, you can use a square wave with a frequency of your choosing.

To configure the square wave input, you will need to use a voltage source (VSRC) and set the waveform type to "square" in the properties menu. From there, you can adjust the frequency and amplitude of the square wave.

To observe the output at the switch, you can use a voltage probe and place it at the output node of the switch. This will allow you to see the waveform of the output signal.

Remember to also set up any necessary ground connections and to run the simulation for a sufficient amount of time to observe the behavior of the circuit. Good luck with your simulation and lab session!

1. What is PSPICE simulation?

PSPICE simulation is a computer program used for simulating and analyzing electrical circuits. It allows users to create circuit schematics, simulate the behavior of the circuit, and analyze the results.

2. What is a Schematic of Waveform Selector in PSPICE?

A Schematic of Waveform Selector is a tool in PSPICE that allows users to select and display specific waveforms from their circuit simulation. This is useful for analyzing the behavior of different components or signals within the circuit.

3. How do I create a Schematic of Waveform Selector in PSPICE?

To create a Schematic of Waveform Selector in PSPICE, you will need to add a "Waveform Selector" component to your circuit schematic. This can be found in the "Special Functions" section of the component library. Once added, you can configure the settings for the waveform selector in the component properties window.

4. What types of waveforms can be selected using the Schematic of Waveform Selector?

The Schematic of Waveform Selector in PSPICE can select and display various types of waveforms, including sine, square, triangle, sawtooth, and custom waveforms. It can also select and display signals from specific nodes in the circuit, such as voltage or current.

5. Can I use the Schematic of Waveform Selector to measure and analyze circuit performance?

Yes, the Schematic of Waveform Selector can be used to measure and analyze circuit performance. By selecting and displaying different waveforms, users can observe the behavior of the circuit and make adjustments to improve its performance. Additionally, the waveform selector can be used to measure parameters such as voltage levels, frequencies, and signal distortions.