Public Address System Prank

• Thread starter aerohead_18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the speaker is asking if it is possible to use an aux cord connected to a phone or other device to play audio over a whole PA system by attaching the stripped ends of the wire to the speaker's plug. They are also wondering if the signal would be strong enough without an amplifier on the input end. They are asking if it is hypothetically possible to use one of the outputs of an audio system as an input. The speaker suggests asking a science teacher at their high school for more information.
aerohead_18
I know relatively little about electricity so this might sound kind of elementary. Say you have a public address system installed in a building, and someone is trying to do a prank that involves playing audio over the loudspeakers. Each loudspeaker has a signal (positive) wire and a ground (negative) wire. If you disconnected one of the speakers and attached the stripped ends of the two wires to the plug of an aux cord connected to a phone or other device, would you be able to use the device to play audio over the whole PA system? From what I understand, a PA system usually has to have an amplifier on the input end to boost the signal from the input; if you were to use just a phone/iPod on a large system, would the signal not be strong enough? I guess what I'm asking is whether you could hypothetically use one of the outputs of an audio system as an input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

aerohead_18 said:
I know relatively little about electricity so this might sound kind of elementary. Say you have a public address system installed in a building, and someone is trying to do a prank that involves playing audio over the loudspeakers. Each loudspeaker has a signal (positive) wire and a ground (negative) wire. If you disconnected one of the speakers and attached the stripped ends of the two wires to the plug of an aux cord connected to a phone or other device, would you be able to use the device to play audio over the whole PA system? From what I understand, a PA system usually has to have an amplifier on the input end to boost the signal from the input; if you were to use just a phone/iPod on a large system, would the signal not be strong enough? I guess what I'm asking is whether you could hypothetically use one of the outputs of an audio system as an input.
Thread will remain closed for now.

Why don't you just ask your science teacher about this at your high school? :wink:

1. What is a public address system prank?

A public address system prank is a practical joke or prank that involves using a microphone and speaker system to broadcast a fake or humorous message to a large group of people in a public setting.

2. Is it legal to do a public address system prank?

The legality of a public address system prank depends on the specific laws and regulations of the location where the prank is being performed. In some places, it may be considered disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace, while in others it may be protected under free speech laws. It is important to research and follow the laws and regulations of the specific location before attempting a public address system prank.

3. How do I set up a public address system prank?

To set up a public address system prank, you will need a microphone, speaker system, and a way to connect the microphone to the speakers (such as a mixer or audio interface). You will also need to have access to the public address system, either by being in a public place or by obtaining permission from the owner. Once you have the necessary equipment, you can record or prepare the prank message and use the microphone to broadcast it through the speakers.

4. Are there any potential risks or consequences of doing a public address system prank?

Yes, there are potential risks and consequences of performing a public address system prank. Depending on the content of the prank message and the laws and regulations of the location, you may face legal consequences or be asked to leave the premises. Additionally, the prank may not be well-received by the audience and could potentially cause harm or offense. It is important to carefully consider the potential risks and consequences before attempting a public address system prank.

5. Are there any alternatives to a public address system prank?

Yes, there are alternative forms of pranks or practical jokes that do not involve using a public address system. Some examples include pranks that can be done in a one-on-one or small group setting, or pranks that use props or visual elements instead of a public address system. It is important to consider the context and audience when choosing a prank and to always prioritize safety and respect for others.