Can I use a DIY cord for audio input on my breadboard?

In summary, Alan is trying to build a boombox using transistors as amplifiers and he has a question about the cord that will be used to connect the amplifier to the phone. He recommends using a 3.5mm input jack and cutting the headphone cord to length. He also suggests using some strain relief to protect the soldered wires.
GBK.Xscape
So I have to build a boombox using transistors as amplifiers for my Engineering Electronics class in college and it works and everything. The only thing I have a question about is I want to make my own cord to use my iphone as the audio input signal that is to be amplified. At the lab they have cords that can go into a 3.5mm jack and come out at the other end with two wires; one goes to ground and the other goes to where I input my signal. Can I just split a normal headphones wire and then stick them into my breadboard and it will work? I just don't want to damage my circuit that I've put effort into. I have a spare pair of headphones I wouldn't mind cutting open. Also would radioshack or any place sell an adapter for something like this?

Cheers,

-Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a headphone cable should be three wires:

Left Channel

Right Channel

Ground

Figure out which wire is which and you should have no problem attaching your iPod/sound device before the amplifier circuitry without damaging it. You can also buy a 3.5mm input jack you can mount on a PCB, if your PCB isn't done yet:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CP1-3523N-ND

For audio gadgets, my daughter always has at least one pair of defective headphones, or you can buy new phones for almost nothing. Then, I usually just solder them to high value resistors, using the resistors as leads to poke into the breadboard.

It's also good to have some strain relief because the soldered leads will fatigue and break after a short while. I usually just cut a resistor lead off, wrap it tightly around the around the cable and poke the two ends into the breadboard, side-by-side. It's not very strong, but it will usually work out if you don't tug.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I connect audio input to a breadboard?

To connect audio input to a breadboard, you will need an audio jack and jumper wires. The audio jack should have three terminals: ground, left audio signal, and right audio signal. Connect the ground terminal to the negative (-) rail on the breadboard and the left and right audio signal terminals to two separate input pins on the breadboard using jumper wires.

2. Can I use any type of audio input with a breadboard?

Yes, you can use any type of audio input as long as it has a standard audio jack. This includes devices such as smartphones, laptops, and MP3 players. However, it is important to make sure that the voltage and current levels of the audio input are compatible with the breadboard you are using.

3. How do I ensure the audio input is properly connected to the breadboard?

To ensure the audio input is properly connected to the breadboard, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current levels. The voltage should be within the operating range of the breadboard, and the current should not exceed the maximum current rating of the breadboard. Additionally, you can use an oscilloscope to check the waveform of the audio signal to make sure it is being properly transmitted through the breadboard.

4. Can I use multiple audio inputs with a single breadboard?

Yes, you can use multiple audio inputs with a single breadboard. You will need to use separate input pins on the breadboard for each audio input, and make sure to connect the ground terminals of all the audio jacks to the negative (-) rail on the breadboard.

5. How do I troubleshoot if I am not getting any audio output from the breadboard?

If you are not getting any audio output from the breadboard, there could be several potential issues. First, check all your connections to make sure they are secure. You can also use a multimeter and oscilloscope to check for any voltage or signal issues. Additionally, make sure the audio input device is functioning properly and try using a different audio input to see if that solves the issue.