Publication advice for Born Rule paper

In summary, Jazz is looking for advice on how to get his paper published. He is considering Arxiv and Foundations of Physics as possible journals, but is concerned about the cost and the possibility of it being edited before publication.
Jazzdude
Dear everyone,

I know this is not exactly on topic here, but I thought it was even more off topic in the other sub-forums, so please forgive me for posting it here.

I'm looking for some advice and maybe some help. Recently I have finished my work on a paper about the emergence of the Born rule from observations with limited information. It's very different from anything out there and comes without artificial assumptions. I'm quite confident that it can contribute to the understanding of quantum theory and want it to get published as soon as possible, but also with the greatest impact possible.

Now here's the problem: I'm not well connected in the academic community, since I left academic life 7 years ago. And my old work group leader is retired now and knows little about modern publishing strategies.

So there are two things that I'm considering. First I'd like to get it on Arxiv rather soon. For that I would need an endorsement (quant-ph) which I hope someone here is able and willing to provide. Of course I will share the paper with potential endorsers before.
Secondly, I'm thinking about which journal would be best suited for publishing it. Now my paper is 13 pages in two column PRL style print, and that probably reduces my options significantly. Currently it looks like Foundations of Physics could do it. But then again they ask for 3000 Euros for an open access publication (which is relatively important to me), and while I could afford that, I would still like to see if there are better options out there. Also Foundations of physics only has a 2010 impact factor of just below 1, so it's not immensely attractive. It's also important that a prior arxiv 'publication' be tolerated by the journal.

So, if any of you has advice on this or can help me with the endorsement I would be very thankful. Also, if you're just interested in the results I have and are willing to keep it confidential until it has been officially published, let me know.

Thank you,

Jazz

EDIT: I thought I might as well share title and abstract.

A Theory of Quantum Observation and the Emergence of the Born Rule

The universe we observe requires a twofold concept of locality. On one hand there are the strictly Einstein-local interactions that generate the time evolution, on the other hand the quantum state space requires a non-local description of multiple particle correlations.
This article demonstrates that an observer in such a universe has to rely on local interactions to learn about his environment. He is therefore severely restricted in his ability to reconstruct the local physical universe. We argue that this reconstruction is the defining process of observation. The reconstructed quantum dynamics are shown to be non-unitary and non-linear in general, even if the system evolves unitarily on a global scale.
Interactions with massless free particles are found to have great influence on observation. The special case of a scattering process with an uncharged massless vector boson can result in a stochastic process conforming to the Born rule. Based on this result, a theory of quantum measurement, that describes a measurement device as a cascade of certain scattering events is formulated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why open access is important to you? If you upload it at arXiv too, most physicists will see it anyway.

Demystifier said:
Why open access is important to you? If you upload it at arXiv too, most physicists will see it anyway.

Well, for one thing it's what I believe in. Open access is the only right thing to do in my eyes. Arxiv is nice, but it's not a real solution to the problem. Even if it is on Arxiv, the journal will likely edit the article in some ways, and I would like the final version to be available to everyone without restrictions.

I am without academic affiliation, and getting hold of publications is very painful most of the time. And I'd like to be able to cite the journal version of a paper and not only the arxiv preprint.

That said, I could live without open access publication in this case, but if it's possible I'd still like to do it. But if I find out that it's unpractical to go this route I might just sell my soul and go for personal advantage over idealism.

Thanks,

Jazz

Sorry, but I have to ask again. Is nobody able to give me a quant-ph endorsement and willing to have a look at my paper? Or is the general perception that I'm a crank because I don't have an academic affiliation anymore?

Please, give me a chance.

Cheers,

Jazz

Dear Jazz,

Thank you for sharing your work with us. Your paper on the emergence of the Born rule from observations with limited information sounds very interesting and I am sure it will contribute greatly to the understanding of quantum theory. I understand the importance of publishing research in a timely manner and with the greatest impact possible.

Regarding your first concern about getting your paper on Arxiv, I would be happy to provide an endorsement for you in the quant-ph category. However, before doing so, I would like to review your paper and make sure it meets the standards of the category. Please feel free to share your paper with me and I will provide you with my feedback and endorsement if appropriate.

As for your second concern about choosing the best journal for publishing your paper, I understand that it can be a daunting task. I would recommend considering journals that have a high impact factor in the field of quantum theory and also allow for prior Arxiv publication. Some options could be Physical Review Letters, Nature Physics, or Science Advances.

I wish you the best of luck with your publication and I am excited to read more about your research. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Best regards,

1. What is the Born Rule and why is it important in scientific research?

The Born Rule is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the relationship between the wave function of a quantum system and the probability of obtaining a certain measurement when the system is observed. It is important in scientific research because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which have important applications in fields such as computing and communication.

2. How should I cite the Born Rule in my paper?

The Born Rule can be cited as "Born, M. (1926). Zur Quantenmechanik der Stoßvorgänge. Zeitschrift für Physik, 37(12), 863-867." If you are referencing a specific aspect of the Born Rule, such as its role in the measurement problem, you can also include the page number in your citation.

3. Are there any controversies surrounding the Born Rule?

Yes, there have been debates and alternative theories proposed regarding the interpretation and implications of the Born Rule in quantum mechanics. These include the Many Worlds Interpretation and the Transactional Interpretation. It is important to acknowledge and discuss these controversies in your paper to provide a well-rounded perspective on the topic.

4. How can I ensure my paper on the Born Rule gets published in a reputable journal?

To increase the chances of your paper getting published in a reputable journal, it is important to carefully follow the submission guidelines of the journal you are targeting. Additionally, make sure your paper is well-written, supported by strong evidence, and contributes something new and significant to the existing body of knowledge on the Born Rule. Finally, have your paper reviewed by colleagues or mentors to get feedback and improve its quality.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a paper on the Born Rule?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a paper on the Born Rule include oversimplifying or misinterpreting the concept, ignoring the controversies and alternative theories, and not providing enough evidence or analysis to support your arguments. It is also important to use clear and precise language and to properly cite any sources used in your paper.