Publication of a New Proof of an Old Theorem

In summary, if you are trying to reprove an old theorem, make sure to have a good research plan and to check for data. If you are trying to prove a theorem that is new, make sure to have a good research plan and to check for data.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Hello MHB,

Although chat room isn't meant for math related discussions I didn't any subforum better suited for my query.

Here's the thing.

Many times journals have published new proofs for well known theorems. Example the transcendence of $\pi$ or say the Hall's Marriage Theorem.

Suppose I find a new proof of some old theorem too. How would I make sure that my proof if actually new? Since before sending it for publication I'd want to be sure that I am not wasting anybody's time.

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Hello MHB,

Although chat room isn't meant for math related discussions I didn't any subforum better suited for my query.

Here's the thing.

Many times journals have published new proofs for well known theorems. Example the transcendence of $\pi$ or say the Hall's Marriage Theorem.

Suppose I find a new proof of some old theorem too. How would I make sure that my proof if actually new? Since before sending it for publication I'd want to be sure that I am not wasting anybody's time.

The one word answer is "Research".

The more wordy answer is first do the research as best you can. Then write it up with caveats in the introduction to the effect that you believe it is a new proof ... Then send it off either to an appropriate journal and let the refrees give their opinions on its originality or send it to someone familiar with the field for their opinion.

if you want to reprove a theorem that is new , then it is easy to check because the data you will be looking for is conveniently small.
But if you want to reprove something that is too old , say , \(\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\) is irrational , then that is troublesome. Thats way for obtaining a Master degree , students look for topics that are new, hot and the realted research are easy to check so they can make a progress.

1. What is the significance of publishing a new proof of an old theorem?

Publishing a new proof of an old theorem is significant because it contributes to the body of mathematical knowledge by providing a different or more efficient way of understanding and solving a problem. It also allows for further exploration and improvement of the theorem.

2. How does one go about publishing a new proof of an old theorem?

The process of publishing a new proof of an old theorem typically involves conducting extensive research, writing a formal paper outlining the proof, and submitting it to a reputable mathematical journal for peer review. If accepted, the proof will be published and made available to the public.

3. Can a new proof of an old theorem invalidate the existing proof?

No, a new proof of an old theorem does not necessarily invalidate the existing proof. Both proofs can coexist and contribute to the understanding of the theorem. However, if the new proof is shown to be incorrect, it may lead to the rejection of the old proof.

4. What are some common challenges in publishing a new proof of an old theorem?

Some common challenges in publishing a new proof of an old theorem include ensuring the validity and correctness of the proof, addressing any potential criticisms or counterexamples, and navigating the peer review process. It may also be difficult to find a suitable journal for publication.

5. How does publishing a new proof of an old theorem benefit the scientific community?

Publishing a new proof of an old theorem benefits the scientific community by advancing our understanding of mathematics and providing new insights into the problem. It also allows for further research and development in related areas, leading to potential applications and advancements in various fields.