Pulley question -- Three pulleys lifting a mass...

Tesla In Person
TL;DR Summary
pulley question
Hi, I have this pulley question, i have to find the force F that needs to be applied to the string to keep the system in equilibrium. I found 150N.
Is it correct?
T_1= 300N and T_2=150N so F is 150N.
D.png

Likes sophiecentaur
Physics news on Phys.org
Using earth gravity as 10N (vs. 9.8), looks good to me.

Likes vanhees71 and Tesla In Person
Nitpick: The tensions in the strings do not have direction so it makes little sense to draw them as arrows. It is only when you cut the string in a free body diagram that you get directed forces.

• Informative
Likes Chestermiller and Tesla In Person

Question 1: How does the system of three pulleys work to lift a mass?

Three pulleys are used in this system to reduce the amount of force needed to lift a mass. By distributing the weight of the mass among the three pulleys, the force required to lift the mass is divided by three, making it easier to lift.

Question 2: What is the mechanical advantage of using three pulleys in this system?

The mechanical advantage of using three pulleys in this system is 3. This means that the force needed to lift the mass is one-third of the actual weight of the mass. So, if the mass weighs 300 N, only 100 N of force is needed to lift it.

Question 3: How does the direction of the force change when using three pulleys?

When using three pulleys, the direction of the force needed to lift the mass changes. Instead of pulling straight up on the mass, the force is applied horizontally to the rope. This horizontal force is then distributed among the three pulleys to lift the mass.

Question 4: What are the advantages of using a pulley system to lift heavy objects?

Using a pulley system to lift heavy objects has several advantages, including reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier for a single person to lift heavy loads, and allowing for more precise control over the lifting process.

Question 5: Are there any limitations to using a pulley system to lift heavy objects?

While pulley systems are very effective at reducing the amount of force needed to lift heavy objects, they do have limitations. For example, friction in the pulley system can reduce the overall efficiency of the system, and the weight of the pulleys themselves can add to the total weight that needs to be lifted.