Pulley system with equal spacing

• Thread starter youp tulpin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
youp tulpin
Dear readers,

I want to design a pulley system like in the schematic below, a system where the distance between certain attachment points are equally spaced along a vertical bar. The main feature of these pulleys is that when a force (F) is applied on one end of the cable, the attachment points (A, B, C) move upwards and the distance between them closes and stays the same between point A and B but also between B and C, much like the crossing joints of a scissor mechanism.

Any ideas?

Kind regards.

Engineering news on Phys.org
youp tulpin said:
Dear readers,

I want to design a pulley system like in the schematic below, a system where the distance between certain attachment points are equally spaced along a vertical bar. The main feature of these pulleys is that when a force (F) is applied on one end of the cable, the attachment points (A, B, C) move upwards and the distance between them closes and stays the same between point A and B but also between B and C, much like the crossing joints of a scissor mechanism.

Any ideas?

Kind regards.
IMG_5968.jpeg

Welcome to PF.

So you want;
A to rise at a speed of 1.
B to rise at a speed of 2, and
C to rise at a speed of 3.
They will all reach the top at the same time.

Welcome? :cool:
Besides the pulleys, what type of mechanism do you have in mind?
Can you provide a diagram of your general idea, please?

Here, the three systems are shown separated. There may be duplicated pulleys when all three are combined. Notice that the top pulleys are anchored, but the lower pulley blocks are moved by a distance of T.

The movement of length T, results in a movement determined by the number of falls to T.
1T for point A; 2T for point B; 3T for point C.

1,2,3_Pulleys.jpg

Baluncore said:
Here, the three systems are shown separated. There may be duplicated pulleys when all three are combined. Notice that the top pulleys are anchored, but the lower pulley blocks are moved by a distance of T.

The movement of length T, results in a movement determined by the number of falls to T.
1T for point A; 2T for point B; 3T for point C.

View attachment 341297
Sorry for the late reply, I understand how to progress my idea with these sketches, thank you!

I will also look into the telescopic sliders recommended by @Lnewqban, it might even be what I needed in the first place.

Cheers!

Likes berkeman and Lnewqban