Pulley and Two Masses -- Newton's Law of Motion

In summary: So Xa + 2Xb = 0, which implies Xa = -2Xb, which means that B moves down by only half as much as A moves to the right.In summary, the question is about the three forces exerted at point C and the confusion about the two forces exerted by weight A. The solution explains that point C only feels the forces from the string and not the weight on the table. The line in the solution about the movement of blocks A and B is due to the constant length of the string, causing A to move to the right by twice the distance that B moves down.
EvilMarisa
Homework Statement
Pulley's Newton Law of Motion
Relevant Equations
Force = Mass x Acceleration
Screenshot 2020-09-21 102021.png

From this question, I do not understand why there are three forces exerted at Point C (2 of it being the tension by weight A and the other is the tension by weight B) I understand that there is tension by the two weights but why is there 2 forces exerted by weight A at point C?
Screenshot 2020-09-21 102038.png

From the solution, I do not understand the line " if block A moves through Xa to the right then block B moves down through Xb = 1/2 (Xa)". Since this is a pulley, shouldn't the block move at equal distance? My understanding is that Xb should = Xa because it is a pulley and that block B will move based on the distance moved by block A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
EvilMarisa said:
From this question, I do not understand why there are three forces exerted at Point C (2 of it being the tension by weight A and the other is the tension by weight B) I understand that there is tension by the two weights but why is there 2 forces exerted by weight A at point C?
The three forces exerted at point C are the weight of the suspended mass and the tension in each of the vertical sections of string. Don't think of the latter as being exerted by the weight on the table. Point C does not 'know' anything about that, it just feels the forces from the string.
EvilMarisa said:
From the solution, I do not understand the line " if block A moves through Xa to the right then block B moves down through Xb = 1/2 (Xa)". Since this is a pulley, shouldn't the block move at equal distance? My understanding is that Xb should = Xa because it is a pulley and that block B will move based on the distance moved by block A.
The string has constant length. If A moves to the right by Xa then the string section AD shortens by Xa, but both vertical sections extend by Xb.

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable running through the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates and the object is lifted off the ground.

3. What is Newton's Law of Motion?

Newton's Law of Motion states that every object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. It also states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

4. How does Newton's Law of Motion apply to pulleys and two masses?

In the case of a pulley and two masses, Newton's Law of Motion applies in the form of the tension force in the rope. As one mass is lifted, the other mass will experience an equal and opposite force, causing it to accelerate in the opposite direction.

5. What is the relationship between the masses and acceleration in a pulley system?

In a pulley system with two masses, the acceleration of each mass is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the heavier mass will experience a smaller acceleration compared to the lighter mass. This relationship is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that acceleration is equal to the net force divided by the mass of the object.