Pulse doppler radar: resolution of speed measurements

In summary, we have discussed the parameters and equations relevant to solving this problem, and have determined that the resolution of the radar is 0.25 m/s and a speed of 100 km/h can be measured unambiguously.
KanedaSyndrom

Homework Statement

Pulse radar:

Parameters:
Carrier frequency: 5.3*10^9 Hz
Pulse length: 20*10^-6s
PRF: 30*10^6Hz

Homework Equations

The question is this:

"100 pulses are reflected from a moving target and received by the radar.

-What is the resolution of a speed measurement determined from these measurements?
-Can a speed of 100 km/h be measured unambiguously?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not much of an attempt because I'm in doubt at a solution since no equations was given in the lecture slides beyond the standard doppler shift formula of:

fd= -fc*2*vr/c

Where,

fd= doppler shifted frequency of the carrier frequency
fc= carrier frequency
vr=movement speed of target, probably in km/h I suspect, but not sure if this is in m/s which would make sense I think.
c= propagation speed of electromagnetic radiation in vacuum.

I'm a bit rusty in this, I knew the answers a few semester ago, but wouldn't hurt getting other eyes on the problem, which is quite simple.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I can provide some insights into this problem.

First, let's define some terms and equations that will be helpful in solving this problem:

- Resolution: In this context, resolution refers to the smallest change in speed that can be detected by the radar. It can be calculated using the following equation:

Resolution = (c / (2 * PRF)) * (1/Pulse Length)

Where c is the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s), PRF is the pulse repetition frequency, and Pulse Length is the length of the pulse.

- Unambiguous measurement: This refers to the ability to accurately measure a speed without any ambiguity or confusion. In radar, this is determined by the Nyquist criterion, which states that the maximum measurable speed is half of the PRF.

Based on the given parameters, we can calculate the resolution as follows:

Resolution = (3 x 10^8 m/s / (2 * 30 x 10^6 Hz)) * (1/20 x 10^-6 s) = 0.25 m/s

This means that the radar can detect a speed change of at least 0.25 m/s.

Now, let's determine if a speed of 100 km/h can be measured unambiguously:

100 km/h = 27.78 m/s

This speed is well within the range of the radar's resolution, so it can be measured unambiguously.

I hope this helps with your problem! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How does pulse doppler radar measure speed?

Pulse doppler radar measures speed by using the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of a wave due to the movement of the source or observer. The radar emits a pulse of radio waves and then receives the reflected waves. By comparing the frequency of the reflected waves to the original frequency, the radar can determine the speed of the object.

2. What is the resolution of speed measurements with pulse doppler radar?

The resolution of speed measurements with pulse doppler radar depends on various factors such as the radar's pulse repetition frequency, antenna size, and signal processing techniques. Generally, the higher the pulse repetition frequency and the larger the antenna size, the better the resolution of speed measurements.

3. How does pulse repetition frequency affect the resolution of speed measurements?

The pulse repetition frequency (PRF) is the number of pulses emitted by the radar per second. A higher PRF can improve the resolution of speed measurements because it allows for more frequent measurements and reduces the likelihood of objects being missed due to the radar being "blind" during the gap between pulses.

4. Can pulse doppler radar measure the speed of multiple objects at the same time?

Yes, pulse doppler radar can measure the speed of multiple objects at the same time. However, the accuracy and resolution of the measurements may be affected if there are too many objects in the radar's field of view or if the objects have similar speeds.

5. How can signal processing techniques improve the resolution of speed measurements with pulse doppler radar?

Signal processing techniques such as pulse compression and coherent integration can improve the resolution of speed measurements by increasing the signal-to-noise ratio and reducing the effects of clutter or interference. These techniques use complex algorithms to analyze the radar's signal and extract useful information about the speed of the object being measured.