How does a radar gun determine velocity?

In summary, the radar gun determines velocity by measuring the beat frequency between a wave emitted by the radar gun and a wave reflected from a moving object. This beat frequency is created by the Doppler effect, as the frequency of the reflected wave is shifted due to the object's velocity. This information can then be used to calculate the object's speed.
chiddler

Homework Statement

Radar guns emit radio waves. The radar gun measures the beat frequency between the returning waves. How does the radar gun determine velocity?

A. By measuring beat frequency between two consecutive reflected waves.
B. By measuring the beat frequency between a wave reflected from a stationary object and one reflected from a moving object.
C. By measuring the beat frequency between a wave reflected from two separate objects moving at the same speed.
D. By measuring the beat frequency between a wave reflected from two separate objects moving at different speeds.

Answer is B.

Homework Equations

Fbeat = |F2 - F1|
the doppler equation: Fs / v+or-vs = Fl / v+or-vl

The Attempt at a Solution

My interpretation. Correct me if I'm wrong, please:
A wave is emitted, reflects off object, and goes back to the radar gun. The frequency of the wave changes due to doppler effect. As new waves are emitted, a beat is produced which can measure the difference between the shifted wave and the new wave.

But beyond this, I'm not sure. Been staring at this question for an hour and could use some help. Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
chiddler said:

Homework Statement

Radar guns emit radio waves. The radar gun measures the beat frequency between the returning waves. How does the radar gun determine velocity?

A. By measuring beat frequency between two consecutive reflected waves.
B. By measuring the beat frequency between a wave reflected from a stationary object and one reflected from a moving object.
C. By measuring the beat frequency between a wave reflected from two separate objects moving at the same speed.
D. By measuring the beat frequency between a wave reflected from two separate objects moving at different speeds.

Answer is B.

Homework Equations

Fbeat = |F2 - F1|
the doppler equation: Fs / v+or-vs = Fl / v+or-vl

The Attempt at a Solution

My interpretation. Correct me if I'm wrong, please:
A wave is emitted, reflects off object, and goes back to the radar gun. The frequency of the wave changes due to doppler effect. As new waves are emitted, a beat is produced which can measure the difference between the shifted wave and the new wave.

But beyond this, I'm not sure. Been staring at this question for an hour and could use some help. Thanks very much.

You have it pretty much correct. The wording of answer B is a bit weird, since the beat frequency is between the reflected wave (which is Doppler shifted) and the original source (not a reflected wave off of a stationary object). But the wording of your answer seems fine.

Thanks for the response.

I'm having difficulty translating B into my answer, though. The emitter is the stationary object. It doesn't really reflect a wave it only emits and receives it, doesn't it?

chiddler said:
Thanks for the response.

I'm having difficulty translating B into my answer, though. The emitter is the stationary object. It doesn't really reflect a wave it only emits and receives it, doesn't it?

The difficulty comes because of the wording of answer B. As I said, and you are also saying, there is no reflected wave off of a stationary object involved. You can point to this wikipedia article on Radar Guns, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_gun

wikipedia said:
The target object's speed v is proportional to the difference in frequency Δf between the outgoing and the reflected radio waves:

After the returning waves are received, a signal with a frequency equal to this difference is created by mixing the received radio signal with a little of the transmitted signal. Just as when two different musical notes are played together they create a "beat note" at the difference in frequency between them, when the two radio signals are mixed they create a "beat" signal (called a heterodyne) at the difference in frequency between the outgoing and reflected waves.

Alright I'm satisfied with my answer then.

Thanks again for your help. Is very appreciated.

edit: Would you mind if I ask another sound related question, please Or ought I start a new thread.

1. How does a radar gun measure velocity?

A radar gun measures velocity by sending out a radio wave towards a moving object, such as a car. The radio wave bounces off the object and returns to the radar gun. By measuring the time it takes for the wave to return, the radar gun can calculate the velocity of the object based on the known speed of the radio wave.

2. What type of waves does a radar gun use?

A radar gun uses radio waves, which are a type of electromagnetic wave. These waves have a longer wavelength and lower frequency compared to other electromagnetic waves, making them ideal for measuring the velocity of moving objects.

3. How accurate is a radar gun's measurement of velocity?

The accuracy of a radar gun's measurement of velocity depends on various factors such as the angle and distance of the object, weather conditions, and the calibration of the radar gun. Generally, radar guns used by law enforcement are accurate within 1-2 miles per hour.

4. Can a radar gun measure the velocity of multiple objects at once?

Yes, a radar gun can measure the velocity of multiple objects at once. However, the accuracy of the measurements may be affected if the objects are too close together or moving at different speeds.

5. What are some other applications of radar besides measuring velocity?

Radar technology has various other applications besides measuring velocity, such as weather forecasting, air traffic control, and detecting objects in space. It is also used in military and defense systems for surveillance and tracking purposes.