Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance

In summary, Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (PNMR) is a scientific technique that uses a pulsed magnetic field to study the properties of nuclei in molecules. It works by aligning nuclear spins in a sample and measuring the decay of a radio frequency signal, providing information about molecular structure and dynamics. PNMR has a wide range of applications in chemistry, physics, and medical imaging, offering advantages such as non-destructiveness and high sensitivity. However, it requires specialized equipment and may not be suitable for certain types of molecules.
Bryan278
Homework Statement
I just need help determining how to find T1 and T2 relaxation times as well as formulas for each. If anyone has any idea where to find T1 and T2 relaxation times for Copper Sulfate in the following concentrations 1 M and .1 M.
Relevant Equations
I know that T1 = t_o/ln(2) but I dont know if there is a formula for T2 besides graphing the data for T2 and getting the line of best fit (exponential) and then inverting the b in e^(-bx), to get that T2=1/b.
I have found articles that show T1 and T2 values for mineral oil and I compare them to mine and there is over 50% error also I know that T1>T2 but mine numbers don't follow that scheme.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try "T1 and T2 relaxation times for Copper Sulfate" Check it out.

What is Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance?

Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (pNMR) is a technique used in scientific research to study the structure and dynamics of molecules by measuring the interaction between nuclear spins and an external magnetic field. It involves the application of short pulses of radio frequency energy to a sample, followed by the detection of the resulting magnetic signals.

How does Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance work?

In pNMR, a sample is placed in a strong magnetic field and then subjected to short pulses of radio frequency energy. This causes the nuclei of the atoms in the sample to align with the magnetic field. When the pulses are turned off, the nuclei return to their original state, emitting a signal that can be detected and analyzed to provide information about the sample's structure and dynamics.

What are the applications of Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance?

pNMR has a wide range of applications in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and material science. It is commonly used to study the structure and dynamics of molecules, as well as to determine the composition of complex mixtures. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI.

What are the advantages of Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance over other techniques?

pNMR has several advantages over other techniques, including its non-destructive nature, high sensitivity, and ability to provide detailed structural information. It also has the advantage of being able to analyze samples in their natural state, without the need for additional preparation or labeling.

What are the limitations of Pulsed Nuclear Magnetic Resonance?

One of the main limitations of pNMR is its relatively low spatial resolution, which makes it less suitable for studying small structures. It also requires specialized equipment and expertise, which can make it more expensive and less accessible compared to other techniques. Additionally, the interpretation of pNMR data can be complex and time-consuming.