Pump and water storage system homework help

In summary, the conversation is about designing a pump and water storage system to provide water for a community of 2000 people using a wind turbine. The topics discussed include the flow rate and power of the pump, daily water consumption per person, size and materials of the tank, insulation, and the shape of the tank. The person is seeking help and suggestions for finding information on these topics, particularly regarding the size of the tank needed to support 2000 people. The conversation also mentions the need to consider pump efficiency and the strength of different tank shapes.
jamesdocherty
hi,

for a task at school i have to design a pump and water storage system that will be able to work with a wind turbine to supply water from a well to a small community of about 2000 people. i am having some trouble finding information regarding these topics:
-flow rate of pump
-power of pump required to push the water up to tank 10m above ground
- average daily drinking water per person
- size and materials of tank
- does the tank have to be insulated
- shape of the tank

how do i find any of this stuff out, what should the size of the tank so it can support 2000 people of drinking water, like should it be able to hold water for a day for each person or something, i am just really confused about how i should know any of this information,

any help suggesting points or websites would be highly appreciated,

Physics news on Phys.org
Google or Wikipedia "drinking water" without quotes. Can easily find info on how much water a human needs to drink each day.

The pump will need to deliver at least that flow rate. However you might choose to use a pump with a higher flow rate because the wind doesn't blow all the time. You might need to make some assumptions about how long calm and windy periods last. That will help size the tank and the pump flow rate.

The pump increases the Potential Energy of the water. I'm sure you have seen the equation PE = mgh. Then you need to know that Power equals Energy/time. You will need to convert the volume flow rate to mass flow rate but that's easy. Some maths will give you the output power the pump must deliver.

However the pump won't be 100% efficient. So find out the efficiency of typical pumps. Then using..

Efficiency(%) = 100 * output power/input power

you can calculate the input power required.

You don't mention which country this is for. That might rule out any need for insulation.

The pressure at the bottom of a large tank can be quite high. Have a think about what shapes are the strongest for pressure vessels.

1. What is a pump and water storage system?

A pump and water storage system is a technology used to move and store water from one location to another. It typically consists of a pump, which is used to push water through pipes, and a storage tank or reservoir, where the water is stored until needed.

2. How does a pump and water storage system work?

The pump in a pump and water storage system is powered by electricity, gas, or solar energy. It uses pressure to move water from a source, such as a well or municipal water supply, to a storage tank or reservoir. Once the tank is filled, the pump shuts off until more water is needed.

3. What are the benefits of a pump and water storage system?

A pump and water storage system offers several benefits, including reliable access to water, even in remote areas, and the ability to store water for times of high demand or during emergencies. It can also help to reduce water waste by only pumping and storing the amount of water needed.

4. How do I choose the right pump and water storage system for my needs?

The type of pump and water storage system you need will depend on factors such as the amount of water you need to move and store, the distance it needs to be transported, and the power source available. It's best to consult with a professional to determine the best system for your specific needs.

5. What maintenance is required for a pump and water storage system?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure the efficiency and longevity of your pump and water storage system. This may include inspecting and cleaning the pump and tank, checking for leaks or damage, and replacing any worn or faulty parts. It's recommended to have a professional service the system annually.