Purdue vs UVa vs IU: Best School for Physics Grad Degree?

• Thread starter Mn74332
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Purdue
In summary, the person is looking for insight on which school would be the best for a future graduate degree in physics. They mention Uva as a good option for financial aid. They are interested in the field of particle physics and want a good program with a solid foundation. They also mention the importance of considering cost and loans. They received a full ride offer from UMass Amherst and are now considering it as an option, especially since they were invited to the honors college.
Mn74332
I need some insight! I will be transferring with the goal of an eventual graduate degree in physics. Which of these schools is the best for physics? Uva will provide the best aid for me... Ps it's iu Bloomington.

Physics news on Phys.org
What field are you interested in?

Arsenic&Lace said:
What field are you interested in?
Particle physics, though I was under the impression the concentration didn't matter for undergrad. Mostly concerned with getting immersed in a good program and have a solid foundation.

I'm pretty sure all three schools have particle physics research groups. As far as I know, all three have respectable undergraduate programs which can provide a solid foundation for grad school. Cost should definitely be a major consideration, especially if you'll need to take out loans. If you go on to grad school, you'll probably be supported as a TA or RA, but you won't be paying back your previous loans very fast (if at all!), and the interest will tend to accumulate.

Thanks for your replies. I just got a full ride to umass Amherst, which I wast really considering before but this offer sparked my interest. How does Umass compare to the previous three (I was invited to the honors college if that makes a difference)?

What is the ranking of Purdue, UVa, and IU in terms of their physics graduate program?

The US News and World Report ranks Purdue at #25, UVa at #35, and IU at #53 for their physics graduate programs.

What is the average length of time it takes to complete a physics graduate degree at each school?

The average length of time to complete a physics graduate degree at Purdue is 5-6 years, UVa is 6 years, and IU is 5 years.

What is the student-to-faculty ratio in the physics departments of these schools?

Purdue has a student-to-faculty ratio of 3:1, UVa has a ratio of 5:1, and IU has a ratio of 7:1 in their physics departments.

Do these schools offer research opportunities for physics graduate students?

All three schools offer research opportunities for their physics graduate students, with Purdue and UVa having a larger variety of research areas available.

What is the acceptance rate for the physics graduate programs at Purdue, UVa, and IU?

The acceptance rate for Purdue's physics graduate program is 24%, UVa's is 25%, and IU's is 31%. However, acceptance rates can vary depending on the specific program and year.