Pure Math/computer science major

In summary, the individual is interested in becoming a cryptographer after college and plans to pursue a double major in pure mathematics and computer science with a minor in two foreign languages. They also plan to get a graduate degree in computer science and a PhD in mathematics, and are seeking advice on whether this will make them competitive in the field. They also have questions about recommendations for colleges and potential changes to their plans. The responder suggests researching the criteria and security clearance requirements for working at the NSA and recommends focusing on computer science for better job opportunities. They also suggest exploring computational mathematics as a potential career path.
Tmstan04
I am interested in being a cryptographer after college. I want to get a double major in pure mathematics and computer science with a minor in two foreign languages (I'm thinking french and russian). After I get my graduate degree I plan to go to graduate school to get a masters degree in computer science and a PHD in mathematics (some schools offer dual programs in which you only take a couple extra classes to get both). Do you think this is a good idea, and will make me competitive in the field? Do you have any recommendations, such as colleges to attend, changing my plans, ect.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Tmstan04 and welcome to the forums.

If you want to work for the NSA I would go to their website and find out what the criteria not only to work for them with technical skills, but also for security clearance.

There is no point trying to get in if there are issues with your security clearance.

i suggest CS, it has the best job opportunities.
or do something in line with computational mathematics where you become basically an applied mathematician writing complex algs.

Related to Pure Math/computer science major

What is a pure math/computer science major?

A pure math/computer science major is a field of study that combines the principles of mathematics with computer science. It involves learning about abstract mathematical concepts and applying them to solve real-world problems using computer programming.

What skills are required for a pure math/computer science major?

Some of the key skills required for a pure math/computer science major include a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and proficiency in computer programming languages such as Java, C++, and Python.

What are the career opportunities for pure math/computer science majors?

Pure math/computer science majors have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as software development, data analysis, cryptography, finance, and research. They can also pursue advanced degrees in fields like computer science, mathematics, or data science.

Is a pure math/computer science major a difficult program?

A pure math/computer science major can be challenging, as it requires a strong understanding of both mathematics and computer science principles. However, with dedication and hard work, students can succeed in this program and develop valuable skills for their future careers.

What are the benefits of pursuing a pure math/computer science major?

Some of the benefits of pursuing a pure math/computer science major include a strong foundation in problem-solving and analytical thinking, the ability to work in a variety of industries, and the potential for high-paying job opportunities. It also allows for the exploration of diverse interests within the fields of mathematics and computer science.