Purify Water in a Rolling Barrel

In summary, the person is looking for suggestions on how to force water through a tube or a screen within a barrel full of water as it rolls. They are also looking for ideas on how to mechanically move a bag with a filter attached through the barrel as it rotates.
StudentonaQuest
Hello -

I am hoping for a bit of helping on a high school science project. I am looking for suggestions on how to force water through a tube or a screen within a barrel full of water as it rolls. I had a concept for using a UV light system to purify the water, but that option fell apart so I am hoping for ideas that are more mechanical. Thanks very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
By "purify" you mean filter?

Yes, I do mean filter. I am hoping to pass the water through a cloth screen or lifestraw (tube that filters out organic matter/pathogens) as the barrel rolls. Any ideas you might have would be great.

If the "lifestraw" is a semi-permeable membrane, you'll need to establish a pressure gradient, and that is going to be a function of what's actually in solution rather than suspended; the difference between "reverse osmosis" and "filtration."

Any suggestions for creating a pressure gradient inside a barrel full of water as it rolls? The filter would be semi-permeable.

Are you trying to purify water that is held in the barrel? If so, how will you separate the clean water from the unfiltered water?

Likes bsheikho
Was thinking a bag with an attached filter that would go inside the drum.

Have you thought of any possibilities of how to mechanically move that bag with the filter on its mouth through the drum as it rotates?

I was thinking of attaching the filter to the side of the bag and filling the water into the bag and sealing the front. Will the water come out of the filter as the barrel turns? Can anybody help with that? Thank you very much

If you are doing that, all you need to do is hang the bag above the barrel and let the weight of the water push the water through the filter on the bottom of the bag.

Likes bsheikho

1. How does purifying water in a rolling barrel work?

Purifying water in a rolling barrel involves using a combination of physical and chemical processes to remove impurities and contaminants from the water. This can include filtration, sedimentation, and disinfection methods.

2. What is the purpose of purifying water in a rolling barrel?

The purpose of purifying water in a rolling barrel is to make the water safe for consumption by removing harmful bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants. This is especially important in emergency situations or areas without access to clean drinking water.

3. What types of contaminants can be removed through this process?

Purifying water in a rolling barrel can remove a variety of contaminants, including bacteria, viruses, parasites, chemicals, and sediments. The specific methods used will depend on the type and level of contamination present in the water.

4. How long does it take to purify water in a rolling barrel?

The time it takes to purify water in a rolling barrel can vary depending on the amount of water being treated and the specific purification methods used. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for the water to be completely purified.

5. Is purifying water in a rolling barrel safe for consumption?

Yes, purifying water in a rolling barrel is a safe and effective way to make water safe for consumption. However, it is important to properly follow instructions and use appropriate purification methods to ensure the water is completely safe to drink.