QM: Issues with parity of spherical harmonics and Heisenberg

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by your first question--##\sigma_{L_x}## can be calculated exactly, so we don't need to worry about "##\langle \sigma_{L_x} \rangle##."Yes, exactly.
renec112
Hi physics forms! I'm practicing to for an Quantum mechanics exam, and i have a problem.

1. Homework Statement

I have two problems, but it's all related to the same main task. I have a state for the Hydrogen:
## \Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi_{100} + i \psi_{211})##
where ## \psi_{nlm}##.

Use Heisenberg uncertainty relation to find the lower value for the varians ## \sigma_x ## of possible meassures for the electrons x-cordinate. HINT It can be used without proof that
## [L_z, x] = i \hbar y ##
2. Equations
Heisenberg:
## \sigma_x \sigma_y \geq \hbar/2##

3. My try
Well here is where it gets awkward. I have a very hard time understanding what i can use the hint for.
I could try to isolate ## \sigma_x \geq \frac{2}{\hbar \sigma_p}##

But given the hint is in a commutator i think i should use the generalized uncertainty principle.
##\sigma_A \sigma_B \geq |\frac{1}{2i} <[A,B]>| ##
But then i should look at
##\sigma_x \sigma_{L_z}##
Which makes no sense to me.

I Would very much appreciate your comment, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick here is that ##\sigma_{L_x}## is something we can actually compute directly in this state, using the definition $$\sigma_{L_x}^2 = \langle L_x^2 \rangle - \langle L_x \rangle^2.$$ Specifically, you should be able to compute ##\langle L^2 \rangle## without too much trouble, which gives you ##\langle L_x^2 \rangle## by symmetry in ##x## and ##y##; that leaves ##\langle L_x \rangle##, which can be computed without any work at all (why?).

Once you have the exact variance ##\sigma_{L_x}##, you can use the generalized uncertainty relation to find a lower bound for ##\sigma_x \sigma_{L_x}## and solve the inequality for ##\sigma_x##, as you suggested in your solution attempt. At some point, you'll have to compute the expected value ##\langle y \rangle##, which could be kind of nasty, but otherwise this should be straightforward.

Likes renec112
VKint said:
At some point, you'll have to compute the expected value ##\langle y \rangle##, which could be kind of nasty, but otherwise this should be straightforward.

Me and my group had a laugh at this, we are just finished doing it and it was very nasty indeed :D
Thank you very much for the comment.
- You mean ## <\sigma_{L_z}^2> ## and not ## <\sigma_{L_x}^2> ## Right?
We have actually calculated ##<L_z## and ##<L_z^2>## from another task. We did it using:
##L_z f^m_l = \hbar m f^m_l##

I'm Curious why you suggest ## <L^2>##? Would you use:
##L^2 f^m_l = \hbar^2 l(l+1) f^m_l ## a
and then exploit:
##L^2 = L_x^2 + L_y^2 +L_z^2 ##

Thanks for helping me out!
Btw, so we are just picking ##L_z## because it does not commute with ##x## ? it's just a bit random to me.

As you suggest, ##\langle L^2 \rangle## is just a way to get at ##\langle L_x^2 \rangle##, which we need to know in order to compute ##\sigma_{L_x}##.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question--##\sigma_{L_x}## can be calculated exactly, so we don't need to worry about "##\langle \sigma_{L_x} \rangle##."

As for ##\langle L_z \rangle##, your calculation is correct, but this is actually not all that relevant to this question. In particular, ##\langle L_x \rangle \neq \langle L_z \rangle##.

The reason we're choosing ##L_x## is twofold: (1) it doesn't commute with ##x##, and (2) we're in a linear combination of angular momentum eigenstates, which means that ##L_x## should be (relatively) convenient to work with.

Likes renec112
Okay i think i understand so we are calculating:
##\sigma_x \sigma_{L_x} \geq |\frac{1}{2i} <[x,L_x]>| ##
and not:

##\sigma_x \sigma_{L_z} \geq |\frac{1}{2i} <[x,L_z]>| ##?
Thank you for helping me.

1. What is the concept of parity in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, parity refers to the symmetry of a system under spatial inversion. This means that if the coordinates of all particles in a system were flipped, the system would remain unchanged. Parity is often denoted as +1 or -1, with +1 representing an even parity (unchanged under inversion) and -1 representing an odd parity (changes under inversion).

2. What are spherical harmonics in quantum mechanics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions that describe the spatial distribution of a particle's wave function in spherical coordinates. They are used to solve the Schrödinger equation for systems with spherical symmetry, such as atoms and molecules. Spherical harmonics have both radial and angular components, and their solutions are often expressed as a series of functions with different quantum numbers.

3. How does parity affect spherical harmonics in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the parity of a system can affect the symmetry of the spherical harmonics used to describe it. For example, in a system with even parity, the spherical harmonics will only have even values for the angular quantum numbers, while in a system with odd parity, the spherical harmonics will only have odd values for the angular quantum numbers. This affects the possible energy levels and wave functions of the system.

4. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This means that the more precisely you know the position of a particle, the less precisely you can know its momentum, and vice versa. This principle is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of quantum particles.

5. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to parity in quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle and parity are both important concepts in quantum mechanics, but they are not directly related to each other. However, the uncertainty principle can affect the measurement of particles with different parities. For example, measuring the position of a particle with even parity may have a different outcome than measuring the position of a particle with odd parity, due to the different symmetries of their wave functions.