QM: Spin -orbit coupling: Solve [(L.S), L]

In summary, the task is to solve the commutators [(L.S) , L], [(L.S) , S], and [(L.S) , L^2] using the given commutator rules. The key is to remember the general rule that [A\,B,C]=A\,[B,C]+[A,C]\,B and use the given commutator rules to solve for the commutators.
Aaronse_r
[SOLVED] QM: Spin -orbit coupling: Solve [(L.S), L]

Homework Statement

Griffiths problem 6.16
Solve the following commutators (he lists a bunch but i can't get even the first one)

(a) [(L.S) , L]
(b) [(L.S) , S]
(c) [(L.S) , L^2]

there's a few more, but i think if i get the idea then i can do the rest. I know it isn't supposed to be hard but for some reason i can't get it.

Thank you any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing you have to know is the commutators

[tex][L_i,L_j]=\epsilon_{ijk}\,L_k \quad [L_i,S_j]=0[/tex]

and the general rule

[tex] [A\,B,C]=A\,[B,C]+[A,C]\,B[/tex]

Related to QM: Spin -orbit coupling: Solve [(L.S), L]

What is QM?

QM stands for quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

What is spin-orbit coupling?

Spin-orbit coupling is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the spin and orbital angular momentum of an electron are coupled together, meaning they affect each other's behavior.

What does [(L.S), L] represent?

This notation represents the operator for spin-orbit coupling, where L represents the orbital angular momentum and S represents the spin angular momentum.

How do you solve [(L.S), L]?

To solve this operator, you would use mathematical techniques such as matrix algebra or perturbation theory to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the system.

What is the significance of solving [(L.S), L] in quantum mechanics?

Solving [(L.S), L] is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and other quantum systems. It helps to explain phenomena such as fine structure splitting and the Zeeman effect.