Quadratic equation help (Time when one vehicle passes another)

In summary: The question states: " [the motorcycle] reaches its greatest speed vm =58.8 m/s before the car reaches its greatest speed vc =106 m/s."vc > vm, so the car will eventually reach the motorcycle whether or not it has reached maximum speed.Thanks for that insight. I'll rework it in the morning here in the states.
Selectron09
Homework Statement
popular web video shows a jet airplane, a car, and a motorcycle
racing from rest along a runway. Initially
the motorcycle takes the lead, but then the jet takes the lead,
and finally the car blows past the motorcycle. Here let’s focus
on the car and motorcycle and assign some reasonable values
to the motion.The motorcycle first takes the lead because its
(constant) acceleration am = 8.40 m/s2 is greater than the car’s
(constant) acceleration ac = 5.60 m/s2, but it soon loses to the
car because it reaches its greatest speed vm =58.8 m/s before
the car reaches its greatest speed vc =106 m/s. How long does
the car take to reach the motorcycle?
Relevant Equations
[tex]\frac{1}{2}ac{t^2} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{{{v^2}m}}{{am}} + (t - 7.00s)[/tex]

((1/2)act^2=(1/2)(vm^2/am)+(t-7.00s)
Sample Problem 2.04 Drag race of car and motorcycle

I was following all the way up to using the quadratic equation for this problem...(please see img for a more detailed attempt at a solution.)

So I may have simplified incorrectly here:

but I came up with

2.8t^2-(58.8)t+408.1=0

but when filling in

a=2.8
b=58.8
c=408.1

in the quadratic equation to find "t" The root would be negative. So I'm stuck. The answer to the example problem is 4.44 s and t 16.6 s which 16.6 would be the correct answer for t, I just am stuck at how they got these answers from the quadratic equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the final quadratic b = -58.8, but that does not fix the problem.

The problem is in your original equation that is dimensionally incorrect. The left side has units of length and the right side has units of time.

Likes Selectron09
Hi kuruman, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that still makes the root in the quadratic equation negative because

[tex]\frac{{ - b \pm \sqrt {{{( - 58.8)}^2} - 4ac} }}{{2a}}[/tex]

and I calculated -4(a)(c)= 4570.72 which would equal (-1113.28) under root.

The problem is in your original equation that is dimensionally incorrect. The left side has units of length and the right side has units of time. I don't know what it is supposed to represent, but you need to start with equations one for the position of the car at any time t and a second for the position of the motorcycle at any time t. Then say that there is a particular time ##t_c## at which the car catches up. At that time the two expressions for the positions must be equal.

Likes Selectron09
The equation is unlikely to be incorrect as it came from the textbook's example problem.

Selectron09 said:
The equation is unlikely to be incorrect as it came from the textbook's example problem.
You copied it incorrectly. Try again.

Likes Selectron09

haruspex said:
You copied it incorrectly. Try again.

Wouldn't you want to put it in the form = 0 before you put a,b,c into quadratic?

Selectron09 said:
I don't understand why you have posted the textbook image again. The error is not there; the error is in the copy you made in post #1.

Likes Selectron09
I posted that so you would know what they are referring to by 2-20-2-23

Selectron09 said:
Wouldn't you want to put it in the form = 0 before you put a,b,c into quadratic?
That is not it either.
However, looking at your handwritten working you may have used the correct version and only made the mistake in typing the Relevant Equation in post #1. Give me a moment to check further.

Likes Selectron09
haruspex said:
That is not it either.
However, looking at your handwritten working you may have used the correct version and only made the mistake in typing the Relevant Equation in post #1. Give me a moment to check further.

Thankyou

I'm still new to using MathType for formatting help in Physics Forum and Math stack exchange.

Selectron09 said:
I'm still new to using MathType for formatting help in Physics Forum and Math stack exchange.
Ok. The error you made in post#1 is that you left out a vm in the last term.
But I think your problem is that the two questions are not quite the same. Does the car reach the motorcycle while it is still accelerating or only after having reached its maximum speed?

Likes Selectron09
haruspex said:
Ok. The error you made in post#1 is that you left out a vm in the last term.
But I think your problem is that the two questions are not quite the same. Does the car reach the motorcycle while it is still accelerating or only after having reached its maximum speed?

I believe the question is referring to the car reaching the motorcycle while it is still accelerating because the question asks "
How long does
the car take to reach the motorcycle?" So the car I believe must still be accelerating

Selectron09 said:
I believe the question is referring to the car reaching the motorcycle while it is still accelerating because the question asks "
How long does
the car take to reach the motorcycle?" So the car I believe must still be accelerating
The question states:
" [the motorcycle] reaches its greatest speed vm =58.8 m/s before the car reaches its greatest speed vc =106 m/s."
vc > vm, so the car will eventually reach the motorcycle whether or not it has reached maximum speed.

Likes Selectron09
Thanks for that insight. I'll rework it in the morning here in the states.

Selectron09 said:
Problem Statement: popular web video shows a jet airplane, a car, and a motorcycle
racing from rest along a runway. Initially
the motorcycle takes the lead, but then the jet takes the lead,
and finally the car blows past the motorcycle. Here let’s focus
on the car and motorcycle and assign some reasonable values
to the motion.The motorcycle first takes the lead because its
(constant) acceleration am = 8.40 m/s2 is greater than the car’s
(constant) acceleration ac = 5.60 m/s2, but it soon loses to the
car because it reaches its greatest speed vm =58.8 m/s before
the car reaches its greatest speed vc =106 m/s. How long does
the car take to reach the motorcycle?
Relevant Equations: [tex]\frac{1}{2}ac{t^2} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{{{v^2}m}}{{am}} + (t - 7.00s)[/tex]

((1/2)act^2=(1/2)(vm^2/am)+(t-7.00s)

Sample Problem 2.04 Drag race of car and motorcycle

I was following all the way up to using the quadratic equation for this problem...(please see img for a more detailed attempt at a solution.)

So I may have simplified incorrectly here:

View attachment 243816

but I came up with

2.8t^2-(58.8)t+408.1=0
As pointed out by others, your Relevant Equation(s) is incorrect. It's missing a vm

It should be: ##\quad \dfrac{1}{2}a_c {t^2} = \dfrac{1}{2}\dfrac{{v_m^2}}{{a_m}} + v_m(t - 7.00)##
(I also fixed the subscripts.)

The problem you are having with obtaining the correct solution has to do with an error in substituting values correctly. It's somewhat difficult to read from that image of your workings, but you neglected to square the ##v_m##.

Likes Selectron09
SammyS said:
As pointed out by others, your Relevant Equation(s) is incorrect. It's missing a vm

It should be: ##\quad \dfrac{1}{2}a_c {t^2} = \dfrac{1}{2}\dfrac{{v_m^2}}{{a_m}} + v_m(t - 7.00)##
(I also fixed the subscripts.)

The problem you are having with obtaining the correct solution has to do with an error in substituting values correctly. It's somewhat difficult to read from that image of your workings, but you neglected to square the ##v_m##.
Thanks a lot!

At this point I feel obliged to reinforce my (and that of others) advice to not substitute numbers until the very end. The value of ##7.00\ \rm s## is the evaluated ratio ##\frac{v_m}{a_m}.## Symbolically, the right hand side is
$$RHS=\frac{1}{2}\frac{{v_m^2}}{{a_m}} + v_m(t -\frac{v_m}{a_m} )=v_mt-\frac{v_m^2}{2a_m}. $$With its mix of symbols and numbers, the solution presented in the textbook may have contributed OP's difficulties. Note that the above expression can be used as an auxiliary kinematic equation describing the object's position as a function of time, but only after the object has reached the constant velocity part of its motion.

Likes SammyS and Selectron09

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a parabola when graphed and has two solutions, known as roots.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, using the quadratic formula, and completing the square. Choose the method that you are most comfortable with and follow the steps carefully to find the solutions.

3. What does it mean when a vehicle passes another in a quadratic equation problem?

In a quadratic equation problem involving the time when one vehicle passes another, it means that the two vehicles are traveling at different speeds and at a certain point in time, they will have the same position. This is known as the time of intersection or the time when one vehicle passes the other.

4. How do I set up a quadratic equation problem involving the time when one vehicle passes another?

To set up this type of problem, you will need to use the equation d = rt, where d represents distance, r represents rate or speed, and t represents time. You will also need to use the equation d = d, where the subscripts represent the two different vehicles. Set the two equations equal to each other and simplify to get a quadratic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

5. What are some real-life applications of quadratic equations involving the time when one vehicle passes another?

Real-life applications of these types of equations include calculating the time it takes for a car to overtake another car on a highway or the time it takes for two trains traveling in opposite directions to pass each other. They can also be used in sports, such as calculating the time it takes for a runner on second base to steal third base in baseball.