Time and time intervals when using kinematic equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a space vehicle accelerating uniformly and determining its average acceleration and distance traveled within a specific time interval. The group discusses different approaches to solving the problem, including using the equations ##x=x_0 + v_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2## and ##\Delta x= v_i \Delta t + \frac{1}{2}a(\Delta t)^2##. The main issue is understanding the difference between t and Δt and properly plugging in the initial velocity.
nerf225
1. A space vehicle accelerates uniformly from 85 m/s at t=0s to 462 m/s at t=10s. What is avg acceleration? How far did the space vehicle move from t=2s to t=6s.

2. Got the avg accel easily enough w basic equation for accel. Problem is conceptual with the displacement portion of the question.

3. I got the correct answer by using x=xo + vit + 1/2at2 for t=2s and t=6s and then basically did Δx= x6s-x2s.

BUT...I don't understand why I can't just use Δx=vit + 1/2at2 with t=4 because the time difference between 6s and 2s is 4s. Isn't the t in that equation essentially a Δt? Shouldn't putting 4 in there tell me the distance it will travel in 4 s?

And why do I get a third different answer if I use: Δx=1/2(vi+vf)Δt?

I seem to be confused about what Δx means and when t vs. Δt is used. Or something. Ugh. Sorry. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell me what are your results?

nerf225 said:
BUT...I don't understand why I can't just use ##\Delta x = v_i t+\frac 12 at^2## with t=4 because the time difference between 6s and 2s is 4s. Isn't the t in that equation essentially a Δt? Shouldn't putting 4 in there tell me the distance it will travel in 4 s?
It will, but you need to plug in the right value for vi. What value did you use?

Draw the graph and show us how you did it.

nerf225 said:
3. I got the correct answer by using x=xo + vit + 1/2at2 for t=2s and t=6s and then basically did Δx= x6s-x2s.

BUT...I don't understand why I can't just use Δx=vit + 1/2at2 with t=4 because the time difference between 6s and 2s is 4s. Isn't the t in that equation essentially a Δt? Shouldn't putting 4 in there tell me the distance it will travel in 4 s?

You say you got the correct result for the distance covered between those times by taking the difference of the results. Using symbols for the two times, say ##t_a## and ##t_b## for the 2s and 6s times, write out the two expressions for the total distance using the formula. Take the difference of the two expressions and collect the terms. Can you spot the problem with just plugging in ##Δt = t_b - t_a## into your formula?

Haruspex -- Thank you! THAT was it! I was plugging in 85 m/s as the initial velocity, not calculating the initial velocity at 2 s and plugging that in. UGH! Smh. Thank you everyone for commenting and being willing to try to help! :)

Related to Time and time intervals when using kinematic equations

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are mathematical equations that are used to describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How do you calculate time and time intervals using kinematic equations?

Time and time intervals can be calculated using kinematic equations by plugging in the given values for position, velocity, and acceleration and solving for the unknown time or time interval.

3. What are the units of time used in kinematic equations?

The units of time used in kinematic equations are typically seconds (s) or any other unit of time such as minutes (min) or hours (hr).

4. Can kinematic equations be used to calculate time and time intervals for any type of motion?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used to calculate time and time intervals for any type of motion as long as the object's acceleration is constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of using kinematic equations to calculate time and time intervals?

Kinematic equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate the time and time intervals of various objects in motion, such as projectiles, vehicles, and celestial bodies.