Qualitative description of unbounded ocean system

In summary: This is the distance between two consecutive high points or two consecutive low points of the wave. In summary, the conversation discusses the evolution and final state of a system with an unbounded ocean, given different values for L and h. It is observed that with a smaller L, the sides of the ocean will crash into each other and eventually settle back into a still surface, while with a larger L, it will take longer for the sides to reach each other. The conversation also touches on the concept of wavelength and how it is affected by the speed of an observer moving over a basin of constant depth.
akoe

Homework Statement

[/B]
a) Suppose that you have the unbounded ocean show in the picture, where [itex]h = 2000[/itex] m. At [itex]t = 0[/itex], the system is allowed to relax. Make a qualitative description of its evolution and final state if i) [itex]L = 100 [/itex] m, and ii) [itex]L = 10,000[/itex] m.
ocean_basin.jpg

b) At what speed should an observer move in order to observe the same wavelength of a wave packet traveling over a basin of constant depth?

Homework Equations

None, because this is a qualitative question? I guess [itex]c_g = \frac{\partial \omega}{\partial k}[/itex] may be useful for part b.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a.i, because [itex]L[/itex] is small, is seems as though what will happen is the higher sides of that rectangular space in the ocean will come crashing towards each other, then hit, then they'll sort of rebound back out , and eventually the ocean will settle back into a still surface. For part a.ii., because [itex]L[/itex] is bigger, the water from each higher side will take longer to reach each other, but I'm not sure how else that would change the situation, and I have no idea what [itex]h[/itex] has to do with this whole situation at all, really.

For part b), I am confused on the wording of this part. When it says in order to observe the same wavelength of a wave packet, what is the "same" referring to? The observer observes the same wavelength as...?

I'm sorry for how messy my answers here are. I guess I really do have a hard time with qualitative questions like this. I would really appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Wavelength" is the length of the displaced surface.

1. What is a qualitative description of an unbounded ocean system?

A qualitative description of an unbounded ocean system is a non-numerical, descriptive overview of the physical, chemical, and biological aspects of the ocean. It focuses on understanding the characteristics and behaviors of the ocean without using quantitative measurements.

2. Why is a qualitative description important for studying the ocean?

A qualitative description is important because it helps scientists develop a holistic understanding of the ocean and its complexities. It also allows for the incorporation of observational and experiential knowledge, which can provide valuable insights into the ocean's dynamics.

3. How is a qualitative description different from quantitative measurements?

A qualitative description is based on non-numerical observations and descriptions, while quantitative measurements involve numerical data. Qualitative descriptions are subjective and rely on interpretation, while quantitative measurements are objective and more precise.

4. What are some examples of qualitative descriptions used in ocean science?

Some examples of qualitative descriptions in ocean science include descriptions of ocean currents, wave patterns, and water color. It can also include descriptions of marine life, such as the behavior and appearance of different species.

5. Can a qualitative description be used to make predictions about the ocean?

While a qualitative description can provide valuable insights into the ocean, it is not typically used for making predictions. Quantitative measurements and models are typically used for predicting ocean behavior. However, a thorough qualitative description can inform and improve these predictions.