Deriving the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect (Circular Motion)

In summary, the inline math delimiters "\(' and '\)" are not working in some way on the text, making it look clunky. I spend 20-30 minutes trying to figure out why this is, but I can't. My limited LaTeX experience is in Overleaf, where these delimiters work fine. My apologies for the clunky format.Edit: Big thanks to Mark44 for the LaTeX help.
stephenklein
Homework Statement
A circular disk of radius R rotates with angular velocity (##\Omega##). The center of the disk is
at rest in an inertial frame. Light of frequency (##\omega##) is radiated from a point source at the center of the disk. What is the frequency (##\omega '##) measured by an observer attached to the rim of the rotating disk? Solve this problem in three different ways:

(a) Use the fact that if a particle has four-momentum ##\bar{p} = (E, \vec p)## in an inertial frame O then the energy (E ') seen by an observer with four-velocity ##U_{obs}## is ##E' = -\bar{p} \cdot \bar{e_{t'}}##.

(b) Use the Lorentz transformation of components of the photon four-momentum.

(c) In the frame of the rotating disk the effect of the gravitational field is to blue-shift
the photon. (*Use the results of (c) in the Rotating Space Station probe question).

*The referenced question was to derive the proper time of an observer in the hull of a rotating space station, the answer given as ##\tau = \frac{t'}{\gamma (v)}##, where the relative velocity v is ##r\Omega##, the radial distance from the space station's axis of rotation times a constant angular speed ##\Omega##.
Relevant Equations
Energy of a particle according to any inertial observer:
$$E' = -\bar{p} \cdot \bar{U_{obs}}$$

Lorentz Transformation as a partial derivative:
$$\Lambda^{\alpha '}_{\alpha} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha '}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} $$
Proper time for observer on the rim of the disk:
$$\tau = \frac{t'}{\gamma (v)} $$
**I realize some of my inline math delimiters '\(' and '\)' are not acting on the text for some reason, and it looks clunky. I spend 20-30 minutes trying to understand why this is, but I can't. My limited LaTeX experience is in Overleaf, and these delimiters work fine in that compiler. My apologies for the clunky format**
**Edit: Big thanks to Mark44 for the LaTeX help**

Part a:
Scalar products must happen using the same coordinate basis for each vector, so I should find ##\bar{e_{t'}}##, the rotating observer's four-velocity, in the coordinate basis of the center of the disk frame, which is the coordinate basis of the photon's four-momentum. In cylindrical coordinates, the frames are related by the following (these relations were given in the previous question on the assignment):
$$t'=t$$
$$r'=r$$
$$\phi ' = \phi - \omega t$$
$$z'=z$$
Apply the Lorentz transformation to the observer's four-velocity, ##\bar{e_{0'}}##, to get its components in the inertial frame:
$$\bar{U_{obs}}=\bar{e_{0'}}=\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial x^{0'}} \bar{e_{\alpha}}$$
$$\bar{U_{obs}}= \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ \Omega\\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$
Four-momentum, using natural units so c=1, is:
\begin{pmatrix} h\omega \\ h\omega \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}
From this, it's clear that the (negative) scalar product will just give me back the original energy, ##h\omega##, which I know is wrong. I'm guessing I'm going wrong with the Lorentz transformation, but that's exactly how the transformation works according to my notes.

Part b:
Well, the Lorentz transformation for the photon's four-momentum should be the inverse of the transformation I tried in part a. So, in the primed frame (the rotating one):
$$p^{\alpha '} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha '}}{\partial x^{\alpha}} p^{\alpha}$$
$$p^{\alpha '} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & -\Omega & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ \frac{1}{\Omega} & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} h\omega \\ h\omega \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$
$$p^{\alpha '} = \begin{pmatrix} h\omega \\ h\omega \\ \frac{h\omega}{\Omega} \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$
Well, clearly something is wrong, because this is not a null vector. The components for the Lorentz matrix were obtained by applying partial derivatives to the coordinate relations, and substituting t=t' when finding the ##\Lambda^{2}_{0}## component:
$$t = \frac{\phi - \phi '}{\Omega}$$
$$t'= \frac{\phi - \phi '}{\Omega}$$
This answer, along with my answer for part a, seems to indicate I must be misunderstanding something regarding the transformations.

Part c:
Proper time in the rotating frame:
$$\tau = \frac{t}{\gamma}$$
So the frequency should be ##\frac{1}{\tau}##:
$$\omega ' = \frac{1}{\tau} = \frac{\gamma}{t}$$
Here, ##\gamma## is ##\sqrt{1-(\frac{r\Omega}{c})^{2}}##, and ##\frac{1}{t}## is the photon's frequency in the inertial frame. So, ##\omega '= \omega \sqrt{1-(\frac{r\Omega}{c})^{2}}##. I'm fairly confident this answer is actually right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know my LaTeX is not executing how it's supposed to. The code works fine in Overleaf, so I'm not sure where the issue is arising from. Hopefully it's clear what I'm asking.

Hint: in part a), you should not be using a Lorentz transform, nor any basis other than the inertial reference frame where the center remains stationary. The problem says as much, so follow directions.

Mentor note: I fixed as much of the LaTeX as I could, but there were two equations using bar that I wasn't able to fix. It's possible that there's a bug in our forum software for text in the Homework Statement and Relevant Equations sections.

Added: Take a look at our LaTeX tutorial. The delimiters here are pairs of ## characters (inline TeX) or $$ (standalone TeX) characters. Also, the site supports MathJax, which is slightly different from LaTeX itself.

Last edited:
Mark, thank you very much.

PAllen -- In my attempt, I was trying to perform the dot product in the basis of the inertial frame. But ##\bar{e_{t'}}## isn't given to me in that frame. However, I do know that ##\bar{e_{t'}}## in the rotating frame is just ##\bar{e_{0'}}##, so in order to obtain this vector in the inertial frame, don't I need a transformation? Otherwise, without a transformation, my dot product becomes:
$$-(-1 \cdot h\omega+0 \cdot h\omega+0 \cdot 0+0 \cdot 0)$$
Which just spits out ##h\omega##, the energy of the photon according to the inertial observer, which I already knew, and doesn't tell me the energy of the photon in the rotating frame.

For scalar products to remain invariant, don't the vectors in question need to be expressed in the same frame first?

Last edited:

What is the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect?

The Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in which the frequency of light or other electromagnetic radiation appears to change when the source and observer are in relative motion.

What is Circular Motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. The object's velocity and acceleration are constantly changing, as it moves in a curved path around a fixed point.

How is the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect derived?

The Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect can be derived using the principles of special relativity and circular motion. The formula for the effect takes into account the velocity of the source, the speed of light, and the angle between the source's velocity and the observer's line of sight.

What is the difference between the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect and the Classical Doppler Effect?

The Classical Doppler Effect only takes into account the relative velocity between the source and observer, while the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds involved in the motion of the source.

What are the practical applications of the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect?

The Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, where it is used to measure the velocities of stars and galaxies. It is also important in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on accurate measurements of time and distance using the principles of relativity.