Quantitative analytics experience question on job appilcation

In summary, the conversation discusses filling out a webform application for a position as a Financial Analytics Analyst/Developer, and whether or not previous experience in physics can be considered as "quantitative analytics." It is suggested to apply through job search websites and get in touch with a headhunter instead. It is also advised to put zero years of experience for the specific requirements, unless the applicant has extensive knowledge in the field. The conversation also mentions the potential challenges and opportunities involved in working for a major bank or consulting company in this field.
daveyrocket
I'm filling out a webform application for a position as a Financial Analytics Analyst/Developer

The job requirements list: "At least 1 year experience in mortgage servicing, fixed income, financial engineering, or quantitative analytics"

The webform actually asks about the amount of experience in these topics. Does my experience doing physics count as "quantitative analytics?" Can I put 6 years experience on this one or do I have to put 0 since I don't have specific experience in quantitative finance?

Physics news on Phys.org
daveyrocket said:
The webform actually asks about the amount of experience in these topics. Does my experience doing physics count as "quantitative analytics?" Can I put 6 years experience on this one or do I have to put 0 since I don't have specific experience in quantitative finance?

It doesn't matter since you shouldn't fill out a web form.

If you are applying to an form on an HR page on a major bank website, then there is a 95% change that that form will get added to a database which no one will ever see. It's actually worse than useless because if you apply through a HH, the bank will block the resume because you are already in the database.

You want to go to www.dice.com[/url] or [url]www.efinancialcareers.com[/url] or [url]www.wilmott.com[/URL], and get in touch with a headhunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually for a job listed at IBM.

daveyrocket said:
It's actually for a job listed at IBM.

In that case, it's safer to put zero. It might put you out of the running for that job, but then again people that have one year of hands on mortgage analytics experience are likely to work for someone other than IBM, so there is an off chance that they'll get you because no one actually has that experience is going to apply. You might consider reading some about mortgage analytics and then putting in the comments that you've read some on the topic.

If you do some basic reading on mortgage analytics and then you find out that your dissertation is directly related (for example, if you've done Markov switching models), then you can put one or two, but you'll need to be prepared to defend that number in an interview, and be able to explain the US mortgage market and how it happens to be exactly what your dissertation was about. If you can talk about securitization, jump processes, coupula correlations and argue that you did just that in your dissertation, then you can put something other than zero.

On other thing, is that if you do put six, they'll toss your resume because you'll be massively, massively overqualified.

Also, if you don't get the job, you might breathe a sigh of relief. My guess is that some major bank or mortgage servicer has some critical project that is seriously, seriously screwed up, and they need to call in IBM to fix it. These sorts of projects can pay *REALLY* well, but they are political minefields.

The other thing is that if a bank hires you, they are fine with you coming in with zero financial knowledge with the expectation that you'll learn what you need in one to three months, since you are going to be working there for several years. Consulting companies are less willing to do that since, it may be a one year contract, so they can't affort one month of training. Finally, it may well be that you will end up being the expert on mortgages.

Last edited:
Hmm that is a very interesting comment. Your advice and insight never ceases to be valuable, thank you very much!

1. What is quantitative analytics experience?

Quantitative analytics experience involves using statistical and mathematical methods to analyze and interpret data in order to make informed decisions and predictions. It typically involves working with large datasets and using tools such as programming languages, statistical software, and data visualization techniques.

2. Why is quantitative analytics experience important for a job application?

Quantitative analytics experience is becoming increasingly important in many industries as the use of data continues to grow. Employers are looking for candidates who can effectively analyze and interpret data to drive decision-making and improve business outcomes. Quantitative analytics experience demonstrates a strong analytical and problem-solving mindset, which is highly valued in many job roles.

3. What skills are needed for quantitative analytics experience?

Some key skills for quantitative analytics experience include proficiency in programming languages such as R or Python, knowledge of statistical and mathematical methods, data manipulation and cleaning, data visualization, and critical thinking. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for effectively communicating insights and collaborating with others on data projects.

4. How can I gain quantitative analytics experience?

There are several ways to gain quantitative analytics experience, including taking courses or obtaining a degree in a related field, participating in data analysis projects or internships, and practicing on your own with datasets and analytical tools. Additionally, seeking out mentorship or networking with professionals in the field can also be helpful in gaining experience and learning about the industry.

5. How can I showcase my quantitative analytics experience on a job application?

You can showcase your quantitative analytics experience on a job application by highlighting relevant coursework, projects, and internships on your resume. You can also provide examples of how you have used data and analytical tools to solve problems or make recommendations in previous roles. Additionally, including any certifications or awards related to quantitative analytics can also demonstrate your expertise in the field.