Quantity of heat, phase change of ice to water

In summary, a 1x106 kg piece of ice is placed into a lake. 334x103 j/kg of latent heat is needed to raise the temperature of the ice from 0 °C to 1x10-20 °C. The ice melts and the volume of the water increases by 1000 m3.
Tafe

Homework Statement

A 1x106 kg piece of ice is placed into a lake. How much heat is taken from the lake to raise the temperature of the ice from 0 °C to 1x10-20 °C? How much volume does the lake increase by?
Latent heat for water is 334x103 J/kg

Homework Equations

Found in my textbook,
cice = 2100 J/kg*K
Q = m c ΔT
Q = mLf
ρwater = 1.0x103 kg/m3

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found how much heat is required to raise the temperature of the ice from 0 °C to 1x10-20 °C.

Q = mcΔT
Q = (1x106 kg)(2100 J/kg*K)(1x10-20 °C - 0 °C)
Q = 2.1x10-11 J

Then I found how much ice would melt with that amount of heat.

Q = mLf
m = Q / Lf
m = 2.1x10-11 J / 334x103 J/kg
m = 6.287x10-17 kg

Finally, I found the volume of the water, or ice that melted.

ρ = m / V
V = m / ρ
V = 6.287x10-17 kg / 1.0x103 kg/m3
V = 6.287x10-20 m3

My understanding is the adding heat to ice doesn't increase its temperature and instead melts some of it into water that is at the same temperature. So I'm confused about the part asking how much heat is required to raise the temperature of the ice. I don't know if I took the right approach for this problem. Is it because the temperature change is so small?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tafe,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Tafe said:
My understanding is the adding heat to ice doesn't increase its temperature and instead melts some of it into water that is at the same temperature. So I'm confused about the part asking how much heat is required to raise the temperature of the ice. I don't know if I took the right approach for this problem. Is it because the temperature change is so small?
Yes, the temperature change they give is negligible and really quite indistinguishable from zero. I think the idea they want to convey is that even to raise the temperature of the ice by that insignificant amount you first have to melt all of it. So you need to convert the ice to liquid water as the first step. Only then can you raise the temperature of the water by the given amount.

gneill said:
I think the idea they want to convey is that even to raise the temperature of the ice by that insignificant amount you first have to melt all of it. So you need to convert the ice to liquid water as the first step. Only then can you raise the temperature of the water by the given amount.

It makes so much more sense now! I think I got it.

Heat required in phase change, ice at 0 °C to water at 0 °C:
Q = mLf
Q = (1x106 kg)(334x103 J/kg)
Q = 3.34x1011 J

Heat required in heating water at 0 °C to 1x10-20 °C:
Q = mcΔT
Q = (1x106 kg)(4190 J/kg*K)(1x10-20 °C - 0 °C)
Q = 4.19x10-11 J

The sum of these amounts is the total heat required to raise the temperature of the ice. The volume increase of the lake is the volume of the the entire piece of ice melted.

The energy calculations look good.

Shouldn't you give a numerical value for the lake's increase in volume?

gneill said:
Shouldn't you give a numerical value for the lake's increase in volume?

The ice is now water, so
ρwater = 1.0x103 kg/m3

ρ = m / V
V = m / ρ
V = (1x106 kg) / (1.0x103 kg/m3)
V = 1000 m3

Looks good.

Thank you so much gneill. :)

You're welcome! :smile:

1. What is the quantity of heat needed to change ice to water?

The quantity of heat needed to change ice to water is known as the heat of fusion. It is the amount of energy required to melt one gram of ice at its melting point, which is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How does the quantity of heat affect the phase change of ice to water?

The quantity of heat directly affects the phase change of ice to water. As heat is added to ice, the molecules gain energy and vibrate faster, causing the bonds between them to break. This leads to the solid ice melting into liquid water.

3. What is the specific heat of water during the phase change from ice to water?

The specific heat of water during the phase change from ice to water is 4.186 joules per gram per degree Celsius. This is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

4. Can the quantity of heat be used to determine the amount of ice melted?

Yes, the quantity of heat can be used to determine the amount of ice melted. The amount of ice melted is directly proportional to the amount of heat added. This relationship is known as the heat of fusion constant and is typically measured in joules per gram.

5. How does the phase change from ice to water affect the temperature of the system?

The phase change from ice to water is a process that requires energy, and therefore, it absorbs heat from the surroundings. This results in a decrease in the temperature of the system as the heat is used to break the bonds between the ice molecules rather than increasing the temperature.