Quantum Bounce & White Holes: Could Black Holes Create Them?

In summary, the article discusses a new solution to the problem of black holes evaporating. They propose that black holes can be exploded in situ, creating what looks like gamma ray bursts.
jppmd
Does quantum bounce provide a solution by which black holes could on some other side of the universe or in another universe create white holes
Sent from my iPhone using

Physics Forums

Jim P

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "some other side of the universe"?

No.

Well I meant create an opening in space time elsewhere in our universe or in another universe via multiverse modelSent from my iPhone using

Physics Forums

Jim P

jppmd said:
The article can be found at http://arxiv.org/pdf/1407.0989v2.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using

Physics Forums

Jim P

Yes! Fascinating paper. Thanks for reminding us of it. I worked through their math to get an estimate of which primordial black holes would be exploding at the current time (if they are right.)

This involves choosing values (which they suggest as reasonable) for some parameters which they left variable.

I'll go back and look at my notes. As I recall the initial mass of the black hole had to be something like 1020 kilograms in order for it not to have exploded already. Maybe more. I'll check and get back to you.

jppmd said:
Does quantum bounce provide a solution by which black holes could on some other side of the universe or in another universe create white holes

Before I go check, there's an interesting feature we should be clear about. Let's focus on just this paper! (Other people have talked about BH to WH tunneling to somewhere else in the universe or to a "different universe". That talk comes up sporadically and has been going on for decades.)

What Haggard and Rovelli are talking about is simpler and more direct: the physical explosion of a black hole in situ, right where it formed in the first place. No "wormhole" no "multiverse", just a bounce---involving a transition from a collapsing to an expanding state which (although unlikely in the short run to occur) they calculate must eventually occur after a sufficiently long time.

Jim, did you happen to see last month's account of the discussion around this paper in Nature News?

You can get it simply by googling "black holes explode" and it is the first hit.
http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-bounce-could-make-black-holes-explode-1.15573

It's better than a lot of other science journalism, by Ron Cowen. He gets comment from four other prominent physicists involved with quantum gravity and black holes:
Abhay Ashtekar (the grand old man of that branch of research) at Penn State, and three Santa Barbara people: Steve Giddings, Don Marolf, and Joe Polchinski.

They help to give the necessary context and cautiousness, which must accompany any new idea.

The new idea is interesting because of its simplicity and because it does away with paradoxes and seeming contradictions that have arisen over the years around the original Hawking idea of BHs gradually evaporating thermally (typically over the course of trillions of years, or longer). Ron Cowen is a pretty good journalist and he explained that pretty well as I recall, so I won't take time to explain it.

Haggard Rovelli's idea in a sense "cuts a Gordian knot". BHs don't have paradoxes or do anything really weird like sneaking out the back door into a different universe, they simply explode after a sufficiently long time, making something that looks like the gamma ray bursts (GRB) that are sometimes seen. GRB come in a range of sizes and a range of mechanisms have been proposed (just like there are various mechanisms for supernovas). BH explosion (a la Haggard Rovelli) would be a mechanism to explain the smaller type of GRB.

If anyone tries "black holes explode" in google and doesn't get the article, try adding the author's name to the search and google "Cowen black holes explode".

Jim,
I checked my notes and past email correspondence---I should have said 1023 kg.

This is about the mass of the Earth's moon. It is in the range thought possible for primordial BH, which could have formed in the very dense energetic early moments of expansion. Of course a BH of that mass would be very tiny--like a bit of grit--around a tenth of a millimeter radius.

The idea is with that initial mass the thing would not have exploded YET but would be getting ready to explode about now.The expected lifetime of a BH (by this model) depends on the mass. It is proportional to the cube of the mass, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Interesting thank you very much for your collected insights I will check out the nature paperSent from my iPhone using

Physics Forums

Jim P

1. What is a quantum bounce and how is it related to black holes?

A quantum bounce is a hypothetical event in which a collapsing black hole reaches a point of maximum compression and then bounces back, possibly creating a new universe. This theory is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which suggest that at extremely small scales, matter and energy can behave in unpredictable ways. Some scientists believe that this quantum bounce could occur at the singularity of a black hole, leading to the formation of a white hole.

2. What is a white hole and how is it different from a black hole?

A white hole is the theoretical opposite of a black hole. While a black hole is a region of space where gravity is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape, a white hole is a region of space where matter and energy are constantly being ejected outward. This is due to the fact that a white hole's singularity is located in the past, rather than the future, like a black hole's singularity. However, white holes have not yet been observed or proven to exist.

3. Could black holes actually create white holes?

The concept of black holes creating white holes is based on the idea of a quantum bounce, which is still a theoretical concept. While there is some evidence to suggest that black holes may be able to create white holes, this has not been confirmed and is still a topic of debate among scientists.

4. What implications could the existence of white holes have on our understanding of the universe?

If white holes do exist and are created by black holes, it would challenge our current understanding of the laws of physics. It would also open up the possibility of multiple universes existing within a larger multiverse. This could have significant implications for our understanding of the origins of the universe and the potential for other forms of life to exist in other universes.

5. How are scientists researching and studying the possibility of quantum bounce and white holes?

Scientists are using advanced mathematical models and simulations to study the behavior of matter and energy at the singularity of a black hole. They are also looking for potential observational evidence, such as gravitational waves, that could support the existence of white holes. Additionally, some scientists are exploring alternative theories, such as loop quantum gravity, that could provide a framework for understanding the concept of a quantum bounce.