Quantum computer storage capacity

In summary, there is a misconception that 32 qubits can store 500 MB of data, but this is not directly proportional. Qubits are not storage elements, but rather noisy processor elements with a probability range of 0 ≤ p ≤ 1. Coupling between qubits can distort probabilities and lead to incorrect results. It is important to get the facts right and not rely on context, as small errors can lead to larger problems.
Deleted member 690984
I have a question regarding the storage capacity of quantum computers. I read that 32 qubits (4 "quantum bytes" if you will - not sure if that's an actual term or not yet) can store the equivalent of 500mb of data.

Is this directly proportional? I.e., would 8 qubits store the equivalent of 125mb of data? 64 qubits would be the equivalent of a gigabyte?

Computer science news on Phys.org
paulthomas said:
I read that 32 qubits (4 "quantum bytes" if you will - not sure if that's an actual term or not yet) can store the equivalent of 500mb of data.
Where did you read that?
A qubit can only store one binary bit, or on the odd occasion, two entangled bits.
32 qubits can store 2^32 different possible patterns, but only 32 bits can be read at one time.

Likes Vanadium 50
M = mega, m = milli. 500 mb is half a bit.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
M = mega, m = milli. 500 mb is half a bit.
OK, it's wrong. However, everyone knows what was meant. Context matters. Good engineers and scientists can correct for obvious typos that represent 9 orders of magnitude difference. Cosmologists and Mathematicians? I'm not sure they care.

Likes Deleted member 690984
You could say the same about Imperial and Metric, and before you know it, your probe crashes into mars. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Likes phinds, FactChecker and anorlunda
Vanadium 50 said:
You could say the same about Imperial and Metric, and before you know it, your probe crashes into mars. :rolleyes:
I was referring to ridiculously large errors and common typos. Of course you were correct, just like the grammaticians that insist people use who and whom correctly.

Imperial vs. metric and Mega vs. milli are not comparable. However, I agree that small errors are scary and require great care. Inch vs. cm isn't even 1/2 of a decade.

Likes Deleted member 690984
Baluncore said:
Where did you read that?
A qubit can only store one binary bit, or on the odd occasion, two entangled bits.
32 qubits can store 2^32 different possible patterns, but only 32 bits can be read at one time.
I've seen this figure quoted in multiple places:

"a quantum computer with just 32 qubits, you could be in 232 = 4,294,967,296 states simultaneously which could translate to approximately 500 MB of data."

DaveE said:
I was referring to ridiculously large errors and common typos. Of course you were correct, just like the grammaticians that insist people use who and whom correctly.

Imperial vs. metric and Mega vs. milli are not comparable. However, I agree that small errors are scary and require great care. Inch vs. cm isn't even 1/2 of a decade.
It's fine. Some people are just compulsive pedants.

DaveE said:
OK, it's wrong. However, everyone knows what was meant. Context matters.
Context may flag an error, but it does not fix the fundamental fault. Get it right.
If you get sloppy and rely on context, you should expect to lose marks and credibility now, then encounter more expensive problems later.
Do not be afraid to question and correct the error when you see it.

I remember an Environmental Science exam question along the lines of "why is the hydrosere important". No one questioned the spelling. 47 students recognised a spelling error when they saw it, so wrote about the hydrosphere. The three of us who had braved the ice and cold wind to attend the 8AM mid-winter lecture did very well in the exam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrosere

paulthomas said:
"a quantum computer with just 32 qubits, you could be in 232 = 4,294,967,296 states simultaneously which could translate to approximately 500 MB of data."
A qubit is not a storage element, it is a noisy processor element that has a probability; 0 ≤ p ≤ 1. Each time you read a single qubit you will get only 0 or 1. Coupling between the qubits in a QC distorts the probabilities and may statistically lead to a valid result.

Baluncore said:
Context may flag an error, but it does not fix the fundamental fault. Get it right.
If you get sloppy and rely on context, you should expect to lose marks and credibility now, then encounter more expensive problems later.
Do not be afraid to question and correct the error when you see it.
I'm not a scientist, nor do I work in the sciences, so I really don't care. Everyone knows what I meant. Only people who are compulsive pedants seem to be having an issue here.

"You should expect to lose marks" - from whom? Nobody is grading anything here.

Deleted member 690984 said:
"You should expect to lose marks" - from whom? Nobody is grading anything here.
Students who read this in the future need the correction, or they will lose marks. They need to get it right.

I'm not a scientist, nor do I work in the sciences, so I really don't care. Everyone knows what I meant.
The fact that you don't care about breaking the SI suffix protocol is relevant to your credibility.

I asked where it is once quoted, not how many times you think you have seen it. Maybe you imagined it.

Only people who are compulsive pedants seem to be having an issue here.
It is not a problem. It should only need to be corrected once, beyond that it makes you a mumpsimus.

Likes BvU
Here on PF that "citation" has exactly as much credibility as saying "Some guy on a bus told me that ..."

If you've seen it in multiple places you should not have any problem listing one. Instead you have evaded the question.

Likes DaveE

1. What is quantum computer storage capacity?

Quantum computer storage capacity refers to the amount of information that can be stored and processed in a quantum computer. Unlike classical computers, which use classical bits to store information, quantum computers use qubits, which can represent multiple values at the same time. This allows for a significantly larger storage capacity compared to classical computers.

2. How does quantum computer storage capacity compare to classical computer storage capacity?

Quantum computers have the potential to have a much larger storage capacity compared to classical computers. While classical computers store information in bits that can only represent 0 or 1, quantum computers use qubits that can represent multiple values simultaneously. This means that quantum computers have the potential to store and process exponentially more information compared to classical computers.

3. Can quantum computer storage capacity be increased?

Yes, quantum computer storage capacity can be increased. As technology and research continue to advance, scientists are finding ways to increase the number of qubits that can be used in a quantum computer. This ultimately leads to an increase in storage capacity.

4. Are there any limitations to quantum computer storage capacity?

While quantum computers have the potential for a much larger storage capacity, there are still limitations. One major limitation is the fragile nature of qubits, which can easily lose their quantum state and lead to errors in calculations. Additionally, the technology for creating and controlling large numbers of qubits is still in its early stages, which limits the current storage capacity of quantum computers.

5. How can quantum computer storage capacity impact scientific research and technology?

The large storage capacity of quantum computers has the potential to greatly impact scientific research and technology in many fields. It can allow for faster and more accurate simulations of complex systems, such as chemical reactions and weather patterns. It can also improve data encryption and artificial intelligence capabilities. In general, quantum computer storage capacity has the potential to revolutionize the way we process and analyze data, leading to advancements in various fields.