Quantum gravity and cosmology

In summary: Translation web sites, like Google translate, are useful. When needing to post in another language, first I translate my English to that language; then, translate it back. Change garbled phrases, try again. When it comes back making sense I figure it's good to go. With a little practice you learn how to phrase things simply; and, reading...In summary, translation is useful for posting in other languages.
Peter25samaha
In which branch of physics we can put Quantum Gravity and Cosmology ?
-astrophysics ?
-relativity ?
-quantum mechanics ?
-classical mechanics?
Or other ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this obsession with categorization? And why do you think two different subjects are necessarily in the same branch?

Vanadium 50 said:
What is this obsession with categorization? And why do you think two different subjects are necessarily in the same branch?
i know that those 2 subjects are not in the same branch but i want to leanr more about quantum gravity and more about cosmology (those are 2 different subjects) and first i have to determine those 2 in which branch they are

Peter25samaha said:
first i have to determine those 2 in which branch they are
Why?

Likes mrnike992
Nugatory said:
Why?
i have some branches i want to do i want to know Cosmology and Quantum gravity in which one they are (i mean each one .. in which branch)

So when you go to wikipedia and look up each of those subjects individually, what do you find? Surely you can do your categorization exercise on your own using wikipedia...

Likes mfb
I think OP simply means which Physics Forum to use when posting questions about Quantum Gravity - particularly relating to Cosmology? Could be "Quantum Physics" or "Special and General Relativity" or "Cosmology". I'd try the latter and see what happens, if nothing, try the others.

secur said:
if nothing, try the others.
Multiple/cross-posting is against the PF rules. If a member wants their thread moved, they need to click on the Report link in their post, and ask the Mentors to move the thread.

berkeman said:
If a member wants their thread moved, they need to click on the Report link in their post, and ask the Mentors to move the thread.

- that's what I meant. But since he may not have read the PF rules, thanks for clarifying

secur said:
I think OP simply means which Physics Forum to use when posting questions about Quantum Gravity - particularly relating to Cosmology? Could be "Quantum Physics" or "Special and General Relativity" or "Cosmology". I'd try the latter
and see what happens, if nothing, try the others.
No i don't mean that . I mean in which branch we study cosmology and quantum gravity

I think this is where I came in.

Peter25samaha said:
No i don't mean that . I mean in which branch we study cosmology and quantum gravity
If you want to study quantum gravity or cosmology... Then you study quantum gravity or cosmology. You will not be in a position to study either topic until have a solid grounding in all the foundational areas of physics: quantum mechanics, special and general relativity, classical mechanics, statistical mechanics. Thus, it's silly to ask which "branch" you need - you need them all.

Likes Peter25samaha
Nugatory said:
If you want to study quantum gravity or cosmology... Then you study quantum gravity or cosmology. You will not be in a position to study either topic until have a solid grounding in all the foundational areas of physics: quantum
mechanics, special and general relativity, classical mechanics, statistical mechanics. Thus, it's silly to ask which "branch" you need - you need them all.
Yeh i think this is good i need all of them . But electricity , i think that i don't need it in all of that quantum physics ,gravity , darke energy and matter , black holes . Should i learn electricity branch in these things ?

Peter25samaha said:
Yeh i think this is good i need all of them . But electricity , i think that i don't need it in all of that quantum physics ,gravity , darke energy and matter , black holes . Should i learn electricity branch in these things ?

You absolutely need electricity and magnetism - it is an essential part of basic physics. Until you have learned the elementary stuff, which is to say everything that will be covered in a serious undergraduate program plus a year or so of additional study, you will not even be able to read a paper on, for example, quantum gravity.

Likes Peter25samaha
A course on English Composition wouldn't hurt either

Likes TheNoobie001, vela and berkeman
secur said:
A course on English Composition wouldn't hurt either

What is the branch of English Composition?

Teaches how to express your thoughts clearly using the English language

secur said:
Teaches how to express your thoughts clearly using the English language
English is my third language its for that

Why do some people think that they can do a 100 meter sprint when they haven't even learned how to crawl?

This question should be clear in ANY level of English.

Zz.

Peter25samaha said:
English is my third language its for that
- Translation web sites, like Google translate, are useful. When needing to post in another language, first I translate my English to that language; then, translate it back. Change garbled phrases, try again. When it comes back making sense I figure it's good to go. With a little practice you learn how to phrase things simply; and, reading the translation helps me pick up the other language.

- Also, mention you're not proficient in English, everybody will cut you some slack.
ZapperZ said:
Why do some people think that they can do a 100 meter sprint when they haven't even learned how to crawl?
- Because they're young and foolish. Later on, you're still foolish, but at least you no longer want to do a 100 meter sprint

[EDIT] of course I'm using the generic "you": i.e. "one is still foolish". Just in case there's any misunderstanding

Last edited:

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theory that attempts to unify the two major theories of physics, general relativity and quantum mechanics, in order to explain the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale and in the presence of strong gravitational forces.

2. How does quantum gravity differ from general relativity?

Quantum gravity takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the wave-particle duality, while general relativity only considers the effects of gravity on a macroscopic scale. Quantum gravity also attempts to reconcile the discrepancies between general relativity and quantum mechanics, such as the existence of black holes.

3. What is the relationship between quantum gravity and cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole. Quantum gravity plays a crucial role in understanding the earliest moments of the universe, as well as the behavior of matter and energy on a cosmic scale.

4. What are the current challenges in the field of quantum gravity and cosmology?

Some of the major challenges in this field include the lack of experimental evidence to test theories, the difficulty in unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics, and the existence of singularities in space-time that cannot be explained by current theories.

5. What are some potential applications of quantum gravity and cosmology?

If we are able to successfully unify general relativity and quantum mechanics through quantum gravity, it could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially open doors to new technologies, such as quantum computers. Additionally, advancements in cosmology could provide insights into the origins of the universe and potentially lead to breakthroughs in space exploration and future space travel.