Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses substituting a given function into the position-space energy eigenvalue equation and determining the value of the constant a that makes it an eigenfunction. The solution involves solving for a using a quadratic equation and understanding that the terms with x must cancel out for the equation to hold for any value of x. The resulting values for a and the corresponding energy eigenvalue are also discussed.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

Substitute [tex] \psi = Ne^{-ax^2} [/tex] into the position-space energy eigenvalue equation and determine the value of the constant a that makes this function an eigenfunction. What is the corresponding energy eigenvalue?

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} \langle x | E \rangle + \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2 \langle x| E \rangle = E \langle x | E \rangle [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, initially I tried to solve for a by plugging in [tex] \psi [/tex] but I got a nasty quadratic [tex]\frac{2 \hbar^2 x^2}{m} a^2 - \frac{\hbar^2}{m} a + \left( E - \frac{1}{2} m \omega^2 x^2 \right) = 0 [/tex]that didn't really seem right. I then did some research and found a similar problem where the book stopped at a similar quadratic equation (the problem was for the first excited state) and said that "the x^2 terms must cancel.

Why is that? I guess I haven't seen the energy eigenstates depend on x before... So I suppose that gives reason to believe that the terms with x will negate each other?

Following that recipe I arrived at the same value of a as they do [tex] a = \frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar} [/tex] and I also arrive at the expected energy (Since this given psi is of the form of the ground state harmonic oscillator) [tex] E = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2} [/tex].

Thanks for any help with understanding this deeper.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Crush1986 said:
Why is that?
Because that quadratic equation must hold for any value of ##x##.

Ok! I think I see. the rest of the terms are constant, so if x varies the zero on the right must still obviously be a 0. Only way this happens is if the two x^2 terms are equal, right?

Yes.

Thank you so much! That is kind of a subtle thing to notice! Makes total sense now though, thanks again!

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a mathematical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle in a potential well that acts like a spring. It is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it provides a simple example of a system with discrete energy levels.

2. What is the quantum harmonic oscillator problem?

The quantum harmonic oscillator problem refers to the challenge of solving the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a harmonic potential. This involves finding the wave function and energy eigenvalues for the system, which can be complex and require advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What are the applications of the quantum harmonic oscillator?

The quantum harmonic oscillator has various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to model the behavior of atoms, molecules, and solids, and also plays a role in understanding the properties of nanoscale systems and quantum computing.

4. What is the ground state of a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The ground state of a quantum harmonic oscillator is the lowest energy state that a particle can have in the system. In other words, it is the most stable state of the system and has the lowest possible energy. It is represented by the wave function with n=0, where n is the quantum number.

5. How does the quantum harmonic oscillator differ from the classical harmonic oscillator?

In classical mechanics, the harmonic oscillator follows a continuous range of energy levels, while in quantum mechanics, the energy levels are discrete. Additionally, in the quantum harmonic oscillator, the particle's position and momentum cannot be simultaneously known, unlike in the classical case where they can be known with certainty.