Quantum Kinetic Energy of Neutrons, Protons and Electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for quantum kinetic energy and gravitational energy for a neutron star comprised of free neutrons, protons, and electrons. The equations are derived from the total kinetic energy of fermionic particles, but there is confusion about how they can be applied to neutrons and protons which are bosons and do not follow the Pauli exclusion principle. It is explained that neutrons and protons have half-integer spin due to the spin of individual quarks, while mesons have integer spin.
gennarakis
Hi there,

I have a problem to solve in Cosmology which says:

"Write the formulas for the quantum kinetic energy of neutrons, protons and electrons as well as the formula for the gravitational energy for a neutron star that is comprised of free neutrons, protons and electrons in a ratio of Nn : Np : Ne = 93,4 : 6,6 : 6,6 (Nν=Nn+Nn=1,8x1057)

The numerical coefficients should be these for homogeneous density."
Attempt for solution

I find in the book "From Quarks to Quasars" by E.N.Economou that the total quantum kinetic energy of neutrons is 92,14% of the total, Uk,tot=Uk,n/0,9214=(ακ/0,9214)ħ2N5/3/(mnR2). The coefficients are aκ=1,1.

This equation is derived from the total kinetic energy of N fermionic particles (s=1/2) that are similar and non relativistic.

And my question is:

How can this equation be used for neutrons (and protons) which are bosons and don't follow Fermi's exclusion principle (where this equation is derived from)?

Space news on Phys.org
gennarakis said:
How can this equation be used for neutrons (and protons) which are bosons and don't follow Fermi's exclusion principle (where this equation is derived from)?

Protons and neutrons are fermions with spin 1/2 h/2π, and they are subjects to the Pauli exclusion principle.
All baryons are fermions, without exception.

Likes gennarakis
Garlic said:
Protons and neutrons are fermions with spin 1/2 h/2π, and they are subjects to the Pauli exclusion principle.
All baryons are fermions, without exception.

I was confused for a second though I see my question is probably of lack of knowledge..but all bosons must have an integer spin, right? so, how baryons which are comprised of three quarks and hence have an integer spin are fermions and not bosons?

gennarakis said:
I was confused for a second though I see my question is probably of lack of knowledge..but all bosons must have an integer spin, right? so, how baryons which are comprised of three quarks and hence have an integer spin are fermions and not bosons?

Neutrons and protons have half-integer spin (1/2 h/2π).
This can be explained with the fact that individual quarks have spin 1/2 h/2π, and therefore baryons have ±1/2 or ±3/2 spin (as quarks can have different positions).
Mesons (like pions) however, have always integer spins.

Likes gennarakis
Garlic said:
Neutrons and protons have half-integer spin (1/2 h/2π).
This can be explained with the fact that individual quarks have spin 1/2 h/2π, and therefore baryons have ±1/2 or ±3/2 spin (as quarks can have different positions).
Mesons (like pions) however, have always integer spins.

Thanks a lot! You are right...I confused the electric charge with the spin of the particle and I couldn't see how three quarks with 2/3 and -1/3 spins cannot be integers...

gennarakis said:
Thanks a lot! You are right...I confused the electric charge with the spin of the particle and I couldn't see how three quarks with 2/3 and -1/3 spins cannot be integers...

I'm glad I could help. :smile:

What is quantum kinetic energy?

Quantum kinetic energy is the energy associated with the motion of subatomic particles, such as neutrons, protons, and electrons, at the quantum level. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is described by the Schrödinger equation.

How is quantum kinetic energy different from classical kinetic energy?

Classical kinetic energy is based on the laws of classical mechanics, which describe the behavior of macroscopic objects. Quantum kinetic energy takes into account the wave-like nature of subatomic particles and their quantized energy levels, which are not accounted for in classical mechanics.

What factors affect the quantum kinetic energy of particles?

The quantum kinetic energy of particles is affected by their mass, velocity, and position. It is also influenced by external factors such as electric and magnetic fields, as well as the presence of other particles.

How is quantum kinetic energy measured?

Quantum kinetic energy cannot be measured directly, as it is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, it can be indirectly observed through experiments that measure the energy changes of particles.

Why is quantum kinetic energy important in understanding the behavior of matter?

Quantum kinetic energy plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of matter at the subatomic level. It helps explain phenomena such as electron energy levels in atoms, the behavior of particles in quantum systems, and the stability of atomic nuclei.