Quantum Mechanic. penetration distance and probability Density

In summary: I had used the wrong value for η. The correct value is 1.19*10^{-10}m.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance beyond the surface of a metallic sodium where an electron's probability density is 20% of its value at the surface. The solution involves using the work function of sodium, the barrier assumption, and the equations for η and ψ_{(x)}. The final answer is 0.805η (0.096 nm).
bayan

Homework Statement

Assume that a typical electron in a piece of metallic sodium has energy [itex]- E_{0}[/itex] compared to a free electron, where [itex]E_{0}[/itex] is the 2.7 eV work function of sodium.

At what distance beyond the surface of the metal is the electron's probability density 20% of its value at the surface?

Homework Equations

[itex]η=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{2m( U_{0} - E)}}[/itex]

[itex]ψ_{(x)}=ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've assumed the surface of the sodium metal is the barrier. I have also assumed [itex]U_{0}-E= 2.7eV[/itex]Given that the probability density must be 20% at a distance from the surface I've used the following method to get my answer and want to check if my assumptions/work are correct.

I've worked [itex]η≈1.19*10^{-10}m[/itex]

Because I need probability density to be 20% of what it would be at the barrier I've done the following;

[itex]0.2=|ψ|^{2}[/itex]

[itex]ψ_{(x)}=ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η}[/itex] ∴ [itex]|ψ_{(x)}|^{2}=(ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η})^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{0.2}=ψ_{edge} e^{-(x-L)/η}[/itex]

Given x value is going to be x value of barrier + zη

[itex]0.447=ψ_{edge} e^{-(zη)/η}[/itex]

[itex]ln 0.447 =ψ_{edge} -(zη)/η[/itex]

[itex]-0.805=ψ_{edge} -(zη)/η[/itex]

[itex]-0.805=-z[/itex]

[itex]z=0.805[/itex]

Would the answer be 0.805η (0.096 nm)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Problem is now solved, the answer and method was correct

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of these particles and their interactions with each other.

2. What is the penetration distance in quantum mechanics?

The penetration distance in quantum mechanics refers to the distance that a particle can travel through a potential barrier. This distance is determined by the energy of the particle and the height and width of the barrier.

3. Why is the concept of probability density important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, particles do not have definite positions or velocities, but instead exist in a state of probability. Probability density is a way of measuring the likelihood of finding a particle at a certain location. It is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles through a wave-particle duality. This means that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, depending on the situation. The behavior of particles is described by a wave function, which contains information about the probability of the particle's properties.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and superconductors. It is also used in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and medical imaging. Additionally, our understanding of quantum mechanics has led to advancements in materials science, chemistry, and biology.