Probability Density of ##x## (Wiener Process)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability density function for a random variable x, which is a non-linear transformation of a Wiener process W(t). The speaker initially assumes that the expectation value of an observable f(x) is needed and uses a variable transformation to find the probability density function. However, it is then suggested to calculate the cumulative probability function and differentiate it to obtain the probability density function. The resulting function is not expected to be Gaussian due to the non-linear transformation of W(t) to x.
lelouch_v1
Homework Statement
Given ##x(t)=\exp{-b(W(t))^2}##, where ##W(t)## is a Wiener process, solve the below questions:
i)What values can x take?
ii)What is the probability density for x?
Relevant Equations
##P(W)=\frac{\exp{-W^2/(2t)}}{\sqrt{2\pi t}}##
Suppose that W(t) is just a Wiener process (i.e. a Gaussian in general). I want to know what the probability density for x, P(x), is. I started off by just assuming that I want to measure the expectation value of an observable f(x), so ##<f(x)>=\int_{W=0}^{W=t}{P(W)f(g(W))dW} \ \ ,\ \ x=g(W) ## Then I transformed variables from W to t and I got $$<f(x)>=\int_{x=g(0)}^{x=g(t)}P(g^{-1}(x))f(x)(\frac{dW}{dx})dx=\int_{x=g(0)}^{x=g(t)}\frac{P(g^{-1}(x))}{g'(g^{-1}(x))}f(x)dx$$ so I just assume that the probability for x is $$P(x)=\frac{P(g^{-1}(x))}{g'(g^{-1}(x))}$$ Since x=g(W), then $$W=g^{-1}(x)$$, but from (1) I get $$\frac{dW}{dx}=\frac{1}{2x\sqrt{blnx}}$$ and assuming that $$\sigma^2=V=t$$, I get $$P(x)=\frac{e^{lnx/{2bt}}2\sqrt{blnx}}{x\sqrt{2{\pi}t}}$$ Is this right? Shouldn't I get a Gaussian? Also, was I right to take the values of x to be [0,t] and not ##(-\infty,+\infty)## ? Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assassinos said:
I get $$P(x)=\frac{e^{lnx/{2bt}}2\sqrt{blnx}}{x\sqrt{2{\pi}t}}$$ Is this right? Shouldn't I get a Gaussian?
There's no reason to expect a Gaussian. The random variable ##W_t## is Gaussian, but ##X_t##, being a non-linear transformation of ##W_t##, is not.

Rather than wrestling with all those integrals, a simpler and more intuitive way to calculate the probability density is to first calculate the cumulative probability function, then differentiate.

Start with:

$$Pr(X_t < x) = Pr \left(\exp\left(-bW_t{}^2\right) < x\right)$$
then manipulate that until you get a probability that ##W_t## lies in a certain region (which will consist of the real line excluding an interval centred on zero). Then express that probability in terms of ##\Phi##, the cumulative probability function of the standard normal distribution.

Then differentiate that wrt ##x## and you'll have the probability density function.

There may be an alternative approach using Ito's Lemma, but you may not have studied that lemma yet, and I think it may take longer than the above anyway.

Last edited:
Likes member 587159

What is the definition of probability density of x in a Wiener process?

The probability density of x in a Wiener process is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a random variable x taking on a specific value at a specific point in time. It is used to model the continuous and unpredictable movements of particles in Brownian motion.

How is the probability density of x calculated in a Wiener process?

The probability density of x in a Wiener process is calculated using the Wiener process formula, which takes into account the mean and variance of the process. This formula is also known as the Gaussian distribution or normal distribution.

What is the significance of the probability density of x in a Wiener process?

The probability density of x in a Wiener process is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the future behavior of a random variable x. By understanding the probability distribution, we can estimate the likelihood of certain outcomes and make informed decisions.

How does the probability density of x change over time in a Wiener process?

In a Wiener process, the probability density of x changes over time as the process evolves. As time passes, the distribution becomes wider and flatter, indicating a higher likelihood of larger movements. This is due to the nature of Brownian motion, which is characterized by random and continuous movements.

What are some real-world applications of the probability density of x in a Wiener process?

The probability density of x in a Wiener process has many real-world applications, including finance, physics, and biology. In finance, it is used to model stock prices and other financial assets. In physics, it is used to model the movement of particles in gases and fluids. In biology, it is used to model the diffusion of molecules in cells and tissues.