Quantum Mechanics: creation and annihilation operators

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the expression $$\langle n+1|b^\dagger bb^\dagger + \frac 12 |n \rangle$$ using basic information about eigenstates. The speaker also mentions making a mistake in calculating ##b\lvert n+1 \rangle## and confirms that the final expression can be simplified.
chocopanda
Homework Statement
Calculate the following with the creation and annihilation operators
Relevant Equations
$$\langle n+1|b^\dagger bb^\dagger + \frac 12 |n \rangle$$
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm struggling with the mathematical formalities in quantum mechanics.

$$\langle n+1|b^\dagger bb^\dagger + \frac 12 |n \rangle = \langle n+1|b^\dagger bb^\dagger |n \rangle + \langle n+1| \frac 12 |n \rangle $$
$$ = \langle n+1|b^\dagger b \sqrt{n+1} |n+1 \rangle + \frac 12 \langle n+1|n \rangle $$
$$ = \sqrt{n+1} \quad \langle n+1|b^\dagger \sqrt{n} |n \rangle + \frac 12 \langle n+1|n \rangle $$
$$ = \sqrt{(n+1)n} \quad \langle n+1|\sqrt{n+1} |n+1 \rangle + \frac 12 \langle n+1|n \rangle $$
$$ = \sqrt{(n+1)^2 n} + \frac 12 \langle n+1|n \rangle $$

Can I simplify the last expression? Provided it's correct.

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the last term?
(Provided the expression is correct 🙂)

I'm wondering if I calculated that correct and if I can still simplify it because I don't know how that would work :)

chocopanda said:
I'm wondering if I calculated that correct and if I can still simplify it because I don't know how that would work :)
You made a mistake calculating ##b\lvert n+1 \rangle##. And yes, you can simplify the final expression. @BvU is suggesting you look up or recall some basic information about the eigenstates.

1. What are creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of particles. They are used to create and destroy particles in a quantum system and are essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How do creation and annihilation operators work?

Creation and annihilation operators work by acting on a quantum state to either create or destroy a particle. When a creation operator acts on a state, it increases the number of particles in the state by one, while an annihilation operator decreases the number of particles by one. These operators follow specific rules and commutation relations that govern their behavior.

3. What is the significance of creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Creation and annihilation operators are significant in quantum mechanics because they allow us to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. They are essential in understanding the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, and are used in many advanced quantum theories and calculations.

4. Can creation and annihilation operators be applied to all particles in quantum mechanics?

No, creation and annihilation operators are only applicable to particles that follow the laws of quantum mechanics, such as electrons, photons, and other subatomic particles. They cannot be applied to larger objects, such as atoms or molecules, as these objects do not exhibit quantum behavior.

5. How are creation and annihilation operators related to each other?

Creation and annihilation operators are related through their commutation relations. When these operators act on a quantum state, they commute with each other, meaning the order in which they are applied does not matter. This relationship is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.