Quantum Mechanics; Expectation value

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the expectation value of the energy at t=0 for a given system. The participants are unsure of how to approach this and are discussing possible methods, including using the eigenvalues and vectors of the Hamiltonian and the general method of inserting the expectation value into the braket <Ψ|A|Ψ> and solving.
Stephen_G

Homework Statement

At t=0, the system is in the state
gif.latex?%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7B%5Csqrt%7B2%7D%7D%5Cbinom%7B1%7D%7Bi%7D.gif
. What is the expectation value of the energy at t=0?

I'm not sure if this is straight forward scalar multiplication, surprised if it was, but we didn't cover this in class really, just glossed through it. If someone could walk me through this, it would be most appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just multiplied the 1/sqrt2 by 1 and i. I'm certain that this is not the correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen_G said:
I just multiplied the 1/sqrt2 by 1 and i.
How, and why?

You need to know the energies of the two states, at least as variables.

If you measure which state the particle is in, what are the possible results? What is the energy associated with each result? What is the probability?

Would the energies be the eigenvalues? I got those in the first portion of that question.

The first question asked for the eigenvlaues and vectors for the hamiltonian:
26i%5Csqrt5%20%26%20%5C%5C%20-i%5Csqrt5%20%26-2%20%26%20%5C%5C%20%26%20%26%20%5Cend%7Bpmatrix%7D.gif

Please post the full question with all relevant context, otherwise there is too much guesswork involved.

In general, how do you find the expectation value of an operator?

Sorry about that, I will in the future.
But, for the your question, you would just insert your expectation value into your braket <Ψ|A|Ψ> and solve, correct?

That works, sure.

Related to Quantum Mechanics; Expectation value

1. What is the concept of expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value in quantum mechanics is a measure of the average value that a physical quantity will take on in a particular quantum state. It is calculated by multiplying the state's probability amplitude by the measurable quantity and then summing all possible outcomes.

2. How is expectation value used in quantum mechanics?

Expectation value is used to predict the most probable outcome of a measurement in a particular quantum state. It also plays a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics and is used to calculate important physical quantities such as energy and momentum.

3. Can the expectation value be greater than the maximum possible value of a physical quantity?

No, the expectation value can never be greater than the maximum possible value of a physical quantity. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics known as the uncertainty principle.

4. How does the uncertainty principle relate to expectation value?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely one physical quantity is measured, the less precisely the conjugate quantity can be known. This means that the more accurately we know the expectation value of a physical quantity, the less we know about its exact value at any given moment.

5. Can expectation value be negative in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the expectation value can be negative in certain cases. This occurs when the quantum state has a negative amplitude for a particular outcome, which cancels out the positive amplitudes of other outcomes. However, the physical interpretation of a negative expectation value is not always straightforward and requires further analysis.