Help with finding the expectation value of x^2

In summary: I understand that the integral is supposed to be$$ int( x * e^(-2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx) = x * A^(-2) - int( A^(-2) * 2 * x dx) = x * A^(-2) - A^(-2) * 2 * int( x dx)$$but when I try to do the integral, I getint( x * e^(-2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx) = x * A^(-2) - int( A^(-2) * 2 * x dx) = 0
Lasse Jepsen
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
The question is as follows:

A particle of mass m has the wave function

psi(x, t) = A * e^( -a ( ( m*x^2 / hbar) +i*t ) )

where A and a are positive real constants.

i don't know how to format my stuff on this website, so it may be a bit harder to read. Generally when i write "int" i mean the integral from -infinity to +infinity.

first it asks me to find A, i do this by normalizing the wave function, and i find that

A = (2*a*m / (pi * hbar) )^( 1 / 4)

this is correct according to the solutions manual.

i'm then asked to find the potential energy function, but since this doesn't mean anything for the rest of the question i will ignore it.

i am then asked to calculate the expectation values of x, x^2, p and p^2

so starting with the expectation value of x (i will write this as <x>) :

from calculating A i already know that int( e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx) = ( pi * hbar / (2*a*m) )^( 1 / 2) = A^( -2 )

<x> = int( x * |psi(x, t)|^2 dx) = A^2 int( x * e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx)

now i use integration by parts

int( u dv) = u*v - int( v du)

i use the following u and v:

u = x

du = dx

dv = e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx

v = int( dv ) = int( e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx) = A^( -2 )

so my integral becomes:

int( x * e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx) = x * A^( -2 ) - int( A^( -2 ) dx) = x * A^( -2 ) - A^( -2 ) * x = 0 = <x>

this means <x> = A^2 * 0 = 0

the solutions manual agrees with me on this solution.

but calculating <x^2> doesn't give the the correct answer, and this makes me question whether i use integration by parts wrong.

i'll show you my result for <x^2>

<x^2> = int( x^2 * |psi(x, t)|^2 dx) = A^2 int( x^2 * e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx)

now i use integration by parts

int( u dv) = u*v - int( v du)

i use the following u and v:

u = x^2

du = 2 * x dx

so my integral becomes:

int( x^2 * e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx) = x^2 * A^( -2 ) - int( A^( -2 ) * 2 * x dx) = x^2 * A^( -2 ) - A^( -2 ) * 2 * int( x dx)

= x^2 * A^( -2 ) - A^( -2 ) * 2 * 1/2 * x^2 = 0 = <x^2>

but according to the solutions manual i should get

<x^2> = hbar / (4*a*m)

no matter what i do i can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong please help.

for anyone interested this is problem 1.9 from David J. Griffiths "introduction to Quantum Mechanics Third edition"

Physics news on Phys.org
Lasse Jepsen said:
i don't know how to format my stuff on this website, so it may be a bit harder to read. Generally when i write "int" i mean the integral from -infinity to +infinity.
See https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Lasse Jepsen said:
int( x^2 * e^( -2*a ( (m*x^2 / hbar) ) dx) = x^2 * A^( -2 ) - int( A^( -2 ) * 2 * x dx) = x^2 * A^( -2 ) - A^( -2 ) * 2 * int( x dx)

= x^2 * A^( -2 ) - A^( -2 ) * 2 * 1/2 * x^2 = 0 = <x^2>
There are definite integrals, so your last equality doesn't hold (you don't get a function of x).

You have to look up how to solve a Gaussian integral.

Likes BvU
Lasse Jepsen said:
use the following u and v:
u = x^2
du = 2 * x dx
That is not legitimate, because v must be an indefinite integral, and there isn't an analytical form for the indefinite integral of e-x2. Try
u = x
v = x*e(-2amx2/ħ)

Hello Lasse, :welcome:

Dr Claude gave you a good answer. I played with typesetting (a hobby) the question and got to the point where it starts to derail. Pity to waste the effort, so see below.

$$ ... latex code ... $$ creates displayed math (the centered equations) and
## ... latex code ... ## creates in-line math
You can check out the ##\LaTeX## code by clicking on an equation with the right mouse button and then pick "show math as ##\TeX## commands"

\left and \right are grouping brackets that grow with the stuff in between.
\; and \; are small spacings

Lasse Jepsen said:
The question is as follows:

A particle of mass m has the wave function
$$\psi(x, t) = A * \exp\left ( -a\left ( { mx^2 \over \hbar} +it \right ) \right )$$
where A and a are positive real constants.

I don't know how to format my stuff on this website, so it may be a bit harder to read. Generally when I write "int" i mean the integral from -infinity to +infinity.
first it asks me to find A, i do this by normalizing the wave function, and i find that
$$A = \left ( 2am \over \pi \hbar \right )^ { 1 / 4}$$
this is correct according to the solutions manual.

I'm then asked to find the potential energy function, but since this doesn't mean anything for the rest of the question i will ignore it.
I am then asked to calculate the expectation values of x, x^2, p and p^2
so starting with the expectation value of x (I will write this as <x>) :

from calculating A I already know that $$\int \exp \left ( -2a\, {mx^2 \over \hbar} \right ) \; dx = \left ( \pi \hbar \over 2am \right )^{ 1 / 2} = A^{-2}$$
$$<x> = \int x \, |\psi(x, t)|^2 \,dx = A^2 \int \, x \exp \left ( -2a { mx^2 \over\hbar } \right ) \; dx $$
now I use integration by parts
$$ \int u \, dv = uv - \int v \, du$$
I use the following u and v: ##u = x \Rightarrow du = dx## (comment: so no need to make that change)
$$dv = \exp\left ( -2 a {mx^2 \over \hbar} \right ) \; dx$$

Here things go wrong and you're getting help already.

mjc123 said:
That is not legitimate, because v must be an indefinite integral, and there isn't an analytical form for the indefinite integral of e-x2. Try
u = x
v = x*e(-2amx2/ħ)

There are a few problems when doing this, integration by parts says:

$$ \int(u dv) = uv - \int(v du) $$

if i use ## u = x ## and ## v = x e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } ## then ## dv/dx = e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } + -2amxe^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } x ##
this way ## dv = e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } + -2amxe^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } x dx ##

making the left side of my integral look like this:

$$ \int(u dv) = \int(x (e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } + -2amxe^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } x dx) $$

and this isn't the integral that i am looking for.

if i use ## u = x ## and ## dv = x e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } dx ##
then my ## v = \int( x e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } dx ) ##
in this case i get a new integral with the exact same problem, because v must be an indefinite integral, and i can't calculate the indefinite integral
## \int( e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } dx ) ##

So I am still completely clueless as to what i should do for this problem.

Lasse Jepsen said:
I told you above: you have to look up how to perform Gaussian integrals. You can't solve that integral using integration by parts.

Apologies, I meant dv = xe^(-2amx2/ħ)dx. And I believe it does work, provided the integral is from -∞ to ∞.

Lasse Jepsen said:
There are a few problems when doing this, integration by parts says:

$$ \int(u dv) = uv - \int(v du) $$

if i use ## u = x ## and ## v = x e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } ## then ## dv/dx = e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } + -2amxe^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } x ##
this way ## dv = e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } + -2amxe^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } x dx ##

making the left side of my integral look like this:

$$ \int(u dv) = \int(x (e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } + -2amxe^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } x dx) $$

and this isn't the integral that i am looking for.

if i use ## u = x ## and ## dv = x e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } dx ##
then my ## v = \int( x e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } dx ) ##
in this case i get a new integral with the exact same problem, because v must be an indefinite integral, and i can't calculate the indefinite integral
## \int( e^{-2amx^2 \over \hbar } dx ) ##

You can immediately conclude that ##\langle x \rangle = 0## without doing any work, just because the probability density function has the form ##P(x)= N e^{-\alpha x^2}## for some constants ##\alpha > 0## and ##N > 0.## The function ##P(x)## is even (meaning that ##P(-x) = P(x)## for all ##x##), so the integral ##\int x^k P(x) \, dx = 0## for any odd integer ##k##.

For ##k = 2## you can write the integral as
$$\int x^2 P(x) \, dx = \int x \frac{1}{2 \alpha } (2 \alpha x e^{-\alpha x^2} ) \, dx =\frac{1}{2\alpha} \int x \, d\left(-e^{-\alpha x^2} \right) $$

Easier: if you know probability theory you will know that the standard normal distribution function
$$f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi} \, \sigma} e^{-x^2/(2 \sigma^2)}$$ has mean 0 and variance ##\sigma^2##, meaning that ##\int_{R} x^2 f(x) \, dx = \sigma^2.## Then, all you need to is figure out how the parameter ##\sigma^2## relates to the inputs in your problem.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of expectation value?

The expectation value, also known as the average value, is a measure of the central tendency of a random variable. It represents the average outcome of a series of repeated experiments or observations.

2. How do you find the expectation value of x^2?

To find the expectation value of x^2, you need to take the integral of x^2 multiplied by the probability density function over the entire range of possible values for x.

3. What does the expectation value of x^2 represent?

The expectation value of x^2 represents the second moment of a random variable, which is a measure of the spread or variability of the data around the mean. It is used to calculate the variance and standard deviation of a distribution.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the expectation value of x^2?

Sure, let's say we have a random variable x with a probability density function of f(x) = 2x for 0 < x < 1. To find the expectation value of x^2, we would take the integral of x^2 * 2x from 0 to 1, which would give us an answer of 2/3.

5. How is the expectation value of x^2 used in statistics?

The expectation value of x^2 is used in statistics to calculate the variance and standard deviation of a distribution. It is also used in the calculation of other important measures such as skewness and kurtosis. Additionally, it is a key component in many statistical tests and models.