Quantum Mechanics Hydrogen Atom Expectation Value Problem

In summary: Two important aspects of QM are eigenstates and superposition. Eigenstates of angular momentum are spherical harmonics. If you have a system in one of these eigenstates, and you measure angular momentum you always get a single value, which corresponds to the values: $$L^2 = l(l+1)\hbar^2, \ \text{and} \ L_z = m\hbar$$ Systems can be in a superposition of these states, which means you may get different values of angular momentum, associated with the different eigenstates in the superposition. For example, if you have the superposition: $$aY_{l_1m_1} + bY
cemtu
Homework Statement
Expected Value of L^2 is needed
Relevant Equations
In a similar problem, similar way of solution is presented at attempted solution
I can not solve this problem:
expected.jpeg

However, I have a similar problem with proper solution:
QUAN.jpeg

Can you please guide me to solve my question? I am not being able to relate Y R (from first question) and U (from second question), and solve the question at the top above...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do ##Y_{21}## and ##Y_{11}## tell you?

Likes cemtu
PeroK said:
What do Y21Y21 and Y11Y11 tell you?
In spherical harmonics it means:
ooo.jpeg

Okay, but what does that function represent (in terms of angular momentum)?

Likes cemtu
PeroK said:
Okay, but what does that function represent (in terms of angular momentum)?
They are joint eigenfunctions of L^2 and Lz, and they constitue an orthonormal basis in the Hilbert space.

cemtu said:
They are joint eigenfunctions of L^2 and Lz, and they constitue an orthonormal basis in the Hilbert space.
Okay, and what do the "11" and "21" mean?

Likes cemtu
PeroK said:
Okay, and what do the "11" and "21" mean?
21 means that " 2 is given for "l" and 1 is given for "m", both m and l are quantum numbers. And for 11, 1 is given for both m and l.

cemtu said:
21 means that " 2 is given for "l" and 1 is given for "m", both m and l are quantum numbers.
Okay, but what does ##l = 2## mean? Isn't that something to do with angular momentum?

l=2 gives 5 different possible numbers for m, and corresponds to d orbital.

cemtu said:
l=2 gives 5 different possible numbers for m, and corresponds to d orbital.
Let me tell you the answer: ##l = 2## tells you the total angular momentum squared for that state. That's how the spherical harmonics arose in the first place - as eigenstates of angular momentum.

If you find a system in that state, then you know its angular momentum.

PeroK said:
Let me tell you the answer: ##l = 2## tells you the total angular momentum squared for that state. That's how the spherical harmonics arose in the first place - as eigenstates of angular momentum.

If you find a system in that state, then you know its angular momentum.
Okay.

you can direct me more questions. I will try to answer all until the question is solved bit by bit.

cemtu said:
you can direct me more questions. I will try to answer all until the question is solved bit by bit.
How much angular momentum is associated with ##Y_{11}## and ##Y_{21}##?

PeroK said:
How much angular momentum is associated with ##Y_{11}## and ##Y_{21}##?
for ##Y_{11}## L and for ##Y_{21}## L^2 . Sorry sir but I couldn't think of, or find any answer in books(griffits) other than this.

The ##l## quantum number is the eigenvalue of ##L^2## corresponding to ##l(l+1)\hbar^2##.

Likes UnkindledParticle
PeroK said:
The ##l## quantum number is the eigenvalue of ##L^2## corresponding to ##l(l+1)\hbar^2##.
okay. I am still here.

So what is $$L^2\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\left(\sqrt{4}R_{32}Y_{21}+\sqrt{2}R_{21}Y_{11}\right)\right]~?$$What do you get when you operate on the given wavefunction with ##L^2##?

can anyone please recommend me any source book to study this topic. Griffits Quantum book ain't doing good...

cemtu said:
can anyone please recommend me any source book to study this topic. Griffits Quantum book ain't doing good...
This is all covered in Griffiths (Chapter 4.3). That's where I learned QM. There are many other texts out there, but ultimately you have to understand the material.

Likes cemtu
PeroK said:
This is all covered in Griffiths (Chapter 4.3). That's where I learned QM. There are many other texts out there, but ultimately you have to understand the material.
On it.

cemtu said:
On it.
Let me summarise two important aspects of QM: eigenstates and superposition. I'll do this for AM (angular momentum), but the same ideas apply across QM generally.

An eigenstate (of AM) means that you get a single value of AM if you make a measurement on that state. The spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}## are eigenstates of AM. If you have a system in this eigenstate and you measure AM you always get ##l## and ##m##, which correspond to the values:
$$L^2 = l(l+1)\hbar^2, \ \text{and} \ L_z = m\hbar$$
Systems, however, can be in a superposition of eigenstates. In this case, you may get different values of AM, associated with the different eigenstates in the superposition. To some extent we can ignore the spatial wavefunction and focus on AM. For example, if you have the superposition:
$$aY_{l_1m_1} + bY_{l_2m_2}$$
Then the coefficients ##a## and ##b## tell you how likely the system is to be found in each eigenstate if AM is measured. The probabilities are, of course, ##|a|^2## and ##|b|^2##. And, the AM you get in each case is ##l_1, m_1## and ##l_2, m_2##.

The expected value of AM is then the statistical mean of: ##l_1, m_1## with probability ##|a|^2## and ##l_2, m_2## with probability ##|b|^2##. For the expected value of ##L^2## this is:
$$\langle L^2 \rangle = |a|^2 l_1(l_1 + 1)\hbar^2 + |b|^2 l_2(l_2 + 1)\hbar^2$$

Note that you can derive this from the formal definition of expected value:
$$\langle L^2 \rangle = \langle \Psi | L^2 | \Psi\rangle$$
That's an important exercise to work through.

I hope this helps.

PeroK said:
An eigenstate (of AM) means that you get a single value of AM if you make a measurement on that state. The spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}## are eigenstates of AM. If you have a system in this eigenstate and you measure AM you always get ##l## and ##m##, which correspond to the values:
$$L^2 = l(l+1)\hbar^2, \ \text{and} \ L_z = m\hbar$$
Let me be pedantic. The equation as written makes no sense, what @PeroK means is
$$L^2 Y_{lm} = l(l+1)\hbar^2 Y_{lm}, \ \text{and} \ L_z Y_{lm} = m\hbar Y_{lm}$$

DrClaude said:
Let me be pedantic. The equation as written makes no sense, what @PeroK means is
$$L^2 Y_{lm} = l(l+1)\hbar^2 Y_{lm}, \ \text{and} \ L_z Y_{lm} = m\hbar Y_{lm}$$

I meant ##L^2## and ##L_z## as quantities, as opposed to operators.

PeroK said:
I meant ##L^2## and ##L_z## as quantities, as opposed to operators.
Got it. But I never saw such a notation before.

DrClaude said:
Got it. But I never saw such a notation before.
I guess if I were being pedantic I would put hats on the operators, to distiguish them from the observable quantities:
$$\langle L^2 \rangle = \langle \psi | \hat L^2 | \psi \rangle$$

Likes cemtu

1. What is the expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value in quantum mechanics is the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, that can be measured in a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the operator corresponding to the physical quantity.

2. What is the hydrogen atom expectation value problem in quantum mechanics?

The hydrogen atom expectation value problem in quantum mechanics refers to the calculation of the expectation value for the energy of the hydrogen atom. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom and using the resulting wave function to calculate the expectation value for the energy.

3. How is the expectation value for the energy of the hydrogen atom calculated?

The expectation value for the energy of the hydrogen atom is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system. This integral is solved using the wave function for the hydrogen atom, which is obtained by solving the Schrödinger equation.

4. What is the significance of the hydrogen atom expectation value problem in quantum mechanics?

The hydrogen atom expectation value problem is significant because it allows us to calculate the average energy of the hydrogen atom, which is a fundamental building block of matter. This calculation helps us understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, and is essential for many applications in chemistry and physics.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the hydrogen atom expectation value problem?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the hydrogen atom expectation value problem. For example, it is used in the study of atomic and molecular spectroscopy, which is important in fields such as chemistry, astrophysics, and materials science. It is also used in the development of technologies such as lasers and quantum computing.