Quantum mechanics: Latex and Box Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use box notation in Latex for quantum states. It is suggested to use an array/matrix to display the states underneath the boxes. The code for this is provided and a link to a LaTex crash course is also mentioned.
shyguy79
Does anyone know how to do box notation in Latex, I've got this:

[itex]Li \quad \boxed{\uparrow \downarrow} \quad \boxed{\uparrow\;} \qquad[/itex]
1s 2s

But I want the quantum states to appear underneath their respective boxes?

Physics news on Phys.org
shyguy79 said:
Does anyone know how to do box notation in Latex, I've got this:

[itex]Li \quad \boxed{\uparrow \downarrow} \quad \boxed{\uparrow\;} \qquad[/itex]
1s 2s

But I want the quantum states to appear underneath their respective boxes?

I'm not familiar with using boxes for notation, but I suppose it looks reasonable. How about using an array/matrix?

[tex] \begin{array}{ccc}
Li & \boxed{\uparrow \downarrow} & \quad \boxed{\uparrow\;} \\
& 1s & 2s
\end{array}[/tex]

Thanks ... Looks good what is the code for that?

shyguy79 said:
Thanks ... Looks good what is the code for that?
Right click my equation, and it gives you an option to show the equation in Tex Commands.

For more general information, there is a link in my signature that directs you to a some LaTex crash coarse, that is useful for this forum. The arrays and matrices are toward the end of the document.

Thats brilliant, thank you!

Related to Quantum mechanics: Latex and Box Notation

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is a fundamental theory that has revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

2. What is Latex notation in quantum mechanics?

Latex notation is a mathematical language used to describe quantum mechanics equations and concepts. It uses symbols and notation to represent mathematical and physical quantities, making it easier to write and understand complex equations.

3. What is Box notation in quantum mechanics?

Box notation is a graphical representation used to illustrate quantum states and operations. It uses boxes and arrows to represent quantum states and their transformations, making it easier to visualize and understand complex quantum systems.

4. How is quantum mechanics related to other fields of science?

Quantum mechanics is a foundational theory that has implications in many other fields of science, including chemistry, biology, and computer science. It helps explain the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level, and has led to the development of technologies such as transistors and lasers.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has a wide range of applications in modern technology, including quantum computing, cryptography, and precision measurements. It has also led to advances in fields such as medical imaging, energy production, and materials science.