Quantum Mechanics (Wien’s displacement law)

In summary: So you have to write$$\frac{1}{\lambda} = \frac{c}{\lambda^2} \quad .$$It is useful to write the equation in such a way, to get the wanted differential at the left side.
says

Homework Statement

Show that the maximum of the Planck energy density occurs for a wavelength of the form λmax = b/T, where T is the temperature and b is a constant that needs to be estimated.

Homework Equations

Planck energy density
u (v,T) = 8πv2 / c3 * hv / ehv/kT-1

The Attempt at a Solution

v= c / λ
dv = |dv / (dλ)| dλ = (c/λ2) dλ

I get up to this bit and I'm stuck...

v= c / λ
c = v*λ
∴ v = v*λ / λ
dv = dv*dλ / dλ
dv = (dv / dλ) * dλ

I'm confused how dv = |dv / (dλ)| dλ turns into (c/λ2) dλ. Sorry if my question is a bit vague -- haven't posted on here in a while and I just started taking QM.

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:

Homework Statement

Show that the maximum of the Planck energy density occurs for a wavelength of the form λmax = b/T, where T is the temperature and b is a constant that needs to be estimated.

Homework Equations

Planck energy density
u (v,T) = 8πv2 / c3 * hv / ehv/kT-1

The Attempt at a Solution

v= c / λ
dv = |dv / (dλ)| dλ = (c/λ2) dλ

I get up to this bit and I'm stuck...

v= c / λ
c = v*λ
∴ v = v*λ / λ
dv = dv*dλ / dλ
dv = (dv / dλ) * dλ

I'm confused how dv = |dv / (dλ)| dλ turns into (c/λ2) dλ. Sorry if my question is a bit vague -- haven't posted on here in a while and I just started taking QM.
The absolute value marks are wrong in your equation.
d means differential, and dv/dλ is the derivative of v with respect to λ. d is not a multiplicative factor!
v is function of λ, and u(v,T)=F(v(λ),T). v=c/λ(v). You have to apply the chain rule to find the λ, where the u( λ) plot has its maximum:
dF/dλ = df/dv dv/dλ.
v=c/ λ, what is its derivative with respect to λ?

dv = ( c / λ2 )

dv = ( c / λ2 ) dλ

says said:

dv = ( c / λ2 )

No, the derivative is written as ##\frac{dv}{dλ}##
In the derivative, you miss a minus sign.

1. What is Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law, also known as Wien's law, is a law of physics that describes the relationship between the wavelength of light emitted by an object and its temperature. It states that the wavelength of maximum emission of a blackbody radiator is inversely proportional to its temperature.

2. How is Wien's displacement law used in quantum mechanics?

Wien's displacement law is used in quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It is used to describe the distribution of energy in a system and can be applied to various phenomena, such as the emission of light from atoms and the behavior of particles in a gas.

3. Who discovered Wien's displacement law?

Wien's displacement law was first discovered by German physicist Wilhelm Wien in 1893. He was studying the properties of blackbody radiation and proposed his law to explain the relationship between the wavelength of maximum emission and temperature.

4. What is a blackbody radiator?

A blackbody radiator is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation incident on it and emits radiation with a continuous spectrum. It is often used in physics as a theoretical model to study the properties of thermal radiation and to understand the behavior of matter at high temperatures.

5. How is Wien's displacement law related to the Planck distribution law?

The Planck distribution law, also known as the Planck's law, is a more general law that describes the distribution of energy in a system at different temperatures. Wien's displacement law is a special case of Planck's law at high temperatures, where the wavelength of maximum emission is directly proportional to the temperature. In other words, Wien's displacement law is a simplified version of Planck's law that applies to blackbody radiators at high temperatures.