Quantum Physics. Gasiorowicz ch1 problem num15

In summary, the textbook doesn't explain what the Bohr quantinization rules are, or how they can be used to calculate the energy states for a potential. The problem does not describe a situation enough to calculate the energy levels. However, when you assume the particle is undergoing uniform circular motion, the solution becomes perfect.
rar0308

Homework Statement

Use the Bohr quantinization rules to calculate the energy states for a potential given by

[itex]V(r)=V_0 (\frac{r}{a})^k[/itex]
with k very large. Sketch the form of the potential and show that the energy values approach [itex]E_n \cong Cn^2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I read textbook of ch1. but I can't understand the problem.
What is Bohr quantinization rules?
What is the energy states?
The potential for what particle?
Such things are not explained in the text. At least what such words indicate is ambiguous. The exact words don't appear in the text.
Problem don't describe a situation enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, it's very ambiguous the way it's worded, but if you think about what this potential might describe it becomes clear.

I'll give you a hint, this potential describes a particle undergoing circular motion!

You are also going to need to use Bohr's angular momentum quantization rule (page 17)
[tex]
mvr = n\hbar
\\ n = 1,2,3,...
[/tex]

Using this, and the hint I have given you, can you think of a way to set up an expression that might give you quantized (discrete!) energy levels?

Remember: Energy = Kinetic + Potential!

I can see the potential is of central force.
But how can I know that the particle is undergone uniform ciruclar motion?
The given potential always implies UCM?

A central potential will always yield motion defined by
[tex]
F = -\nabla V(r)
[/tex]
This might not result in uniform circular motion, that depends on the particle's velocity. However, this permits the force to be written as:
[tex]
F = \frac{mv^{2}}{r}
[/tex]

Very helpful.
I thought [itex]F = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex] is only for UCM

Right, of course it is, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted above. It is true however that any central potential will allow uniform circular motion, and I can't seem to think of any other way to go about this problem without first assuming the particle is undergoing uniform circular motion. The solution is perfect when you assume UCM.

Sorry for the late reply.

Related to Quantum Physics. Gasiorowicz ch1 problem num15

1. What is Quantum Physics?

Quantum Physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions, and the laws that govern them.

2. Who is Gasiorowicz?

Alexander Gasiorowicz is a renowned physicist and author of the textbook, "Quantum Physics" which is widely used in universities to teach introductory quantum physics.

3. What is the significance of Chapter 1 in Gasiorowicz's textbook?

Chapter 1 in Gasiorowicz's textbook introduces the basic concepts and principles of quantum physics, such as quantization, wave-particle duality, and uncertainty principle. It lays the foundation for understanding the more complex topics in later chapters.

4. What is Problem Number 15 in Chapter 1 of Gasiorowicz's textbook?

Problem Number 15 in Chapter 1 of Gasiorowicz's textbook is a practice problem that involves calculating the de Broglie wavelength of a particle with a given mass and velocity. It helps students apply the concepts learned in the chapter and develop problem-solving skills.

5. How can understanding Quantum Physics benefit us?

Understanding Quantum Physics can help us develop new technologies and devices that rely on the principles of quantum mechanics, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also allows us to have a better understanding of the nature of the universe and how it works at a fundamental level.