Quantum Physics help/Electron trap problem

In summary, the problem involves a rectangular corral with dimensions Lx = L and Ly = 1.94L containing seven electrons. The energy of the ground state is requested, with the assumption that the electrons do not interact with each other and spin is not neglected. The equation Enx,ny = h^2/(8mL^2) (nx^2 + ny^2) is used to solve for the energy states, resulting in 1.266 for the ground state, 2.063 (or 2.266) for the first excited state, and 5.063 for the second excited state. However, the approach may be incorrect as there could be two possible energy states for the first excited state
clowe521

Homework Statement

A rectangular corral of widths Lx = L and Ly = 1.94L contains seven electrons. What multiple of h2/8mL2 gives the energy of the ground state of this system? Assume that the electrons do not interact with one another, and do not neglect spin.

Homework Equations

Enx,ny = h^2/(8mL^2) (nx^2 + ny^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

used (nx/Lx)^2 + (ny/Ly)^2 to solve for the energy states resulting in
ground state: 1.266
1st excited: 2.063 (or 2.266?)
2nd excited: 5.063

I feel this approach is incorrect because the 1st excited state could have two possible energy states...

obviously, after finding the states, I multiplied 2 electrons by ground, 4 by 1st, and 1 by second, but the sum jumps around the answer instead of giving me a correct answer.

I'm new to the forum posting, but you guys are always a big help for me so thanks for any input ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
state energy
1,1 2
1,2 5
2,1 5
2,2 8

So won't the energy be 2*2 + 5*2 + 5*2 + 8*1 or 32 multiples?

Yes, there will be 32 multiples, but that would be assuming a square electron trap...I'm not sure how to figure out the multiples based on the trap being rectangular.

Related to Quantum Physics help/Electron trap problem

What is the Electron Trap Problem in Quantum Physics?

The Electron Trap Problem is a phenomenon in which electrons become trapped in a particular location or energy state, making it difficult to control their movement or behavior. This can be a major issue in quantum computing, where precise control of electrons is essential for performing calculations.

What causes the Electron Trap Problem?

The Electron Trap Problem is caused by a combination of factors, including imperfections in materials used for quantum devices, interactions with the surrounding environment, and the inherent probabilistic nature of quantum particles. These factors make it challenging to predict and control the behavior of individual electrons.

What impact does the Electron Trap Problem have on quantum technologies?

The Electron Trap Problem can significantly hinder the development and performance of quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum sensors. It can lead to errors in calculations and limit the scalability of these devices.

What solutions are being explored to address the Electron Trap Problem?

Researchers are exploring various techniques to mitigate the Electron Trap Problem, such as using different materials with fewer defects, designing quantum devices with improved isolation from external interference, and implementing error correction protocols. Additionally, advancements in quantum control and measurement techniques can also help reduce the impact of the Electron Trap Problem.

Is the Electron Trap Problem solvable?

While the Electron Trap Problem is a significant challenge in the development of quantum technologies, ongoing research and technological advancements are making significant progress in addressing this issue. With continued efforts, it is likely that the impact of the Electron Trap Problem can be minimized, if not fully solved.